1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Steve Ballmer's CES 2010 Keynote

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 8 Jan 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Steve Ballmer kicked off the Consumer Electronics Show 2010 with a keynote on what Microsoft has planned for us all this year. There's some good news for Xbox 360 owners, some developments in car-tech and a range of new types of PC. We listened in to what he said and give a running commentary.

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2010/01/08/steve-ballmers-ces-2010-keynote/1

:eyebrow::eyebrow:

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Slate is a terrible name.

3. vadim

vadim What's a Dremel?

The Windows 6.5.3 (Build 28014) with the new HTC Sense is pretty good Clive. Can be used without a stylus for most needs and is solid enough even though its in beta. Looking forward to the final stable release which some say will be happening over the next few months as Windows Mobile 7

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i still think the funniest thing in tech ever was when he had to swim the lake
    as you rightly pointed out nothing new here

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I hate this frontpage image. Wherever I go, his eyes seem to follow me.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

[​IMG]

Oh hai.

8. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

love the first page photo comparison!

9. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Microsoft aren't really one of those companies that excite me anymore, except for Windows 7 which I was looking forward to and future games that make use of their DirectX. Intel has taken that spot now with stuff like USB 3.0, WiMax, Lightpeak, WiDi.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I always pronounced it as "Nay-tal" as well. Damn Yanks.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Are you slating their choice of name? :p

Apple's as-yet unseen vapourware tablet must have competitors quaking in their boots if they feel the sudden need to pull their own Tablet out of their sleeve... Just goes to show the reputation Apple is getting for slick hardware.

12. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

It's pretty sad when I've got to go watch Green Street Hooligans before I can understand the entirety of your article. I don't usually criticize the work here on bit-tech, but as a yank, I find your britslang to be really distracting from the article. I spent 2-3 minutes just trying to figure out if you meant to say he was dodgy or dog-like (doggedly).

Just remember, whenever britslang confuses a yank God RROD's an xbox. Please... think of the xboxs.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Wait, doggedly is a britslang? I just thought it was a normal word. Personally I didn't detect any British bias: it could be that most of what you call britslang we just call normal words. Without talking to an American all the time, we have no way of knowing what is britslang and what's international.

14. whiskers

whiskers What's a Dremel?

Thanks for this article. Finally, a good journalistic recap of MS's appearance at CES, as opposed to just a bunch of "OMG BALLMER" with semi-amusing attempts at funny images, as per other blogs (I'm cringing at you, Gizmodo).

15. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Doggedly is a universal English word, listed in the Merriam Webster dictionary:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/doggedly

British-English words in the MW dictionary are listed as chiefly British with a link to the American spelling. For example, aluminium.

16. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Oh noes, does that mean I'll have to play with Windows Mobile again to update my opinion? :sigh: thanks for the info though - anyone else got good or bad things to say about WinMob?

You didn't have to edit it - it was like he was staring into my soul as I cropped and re-sized... :hehe:

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It's down to a battle, then? :)

18. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 8 Jan 2010
  19. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I think Ballmer's a legend. Anyone with the balls to be that crazy in front of journos gets my vote!

However, the keynote seems irrelevant. I did quite like Seth Meyers though. And guys, he's not just "in" SNL, he's the head writer and a very funny guy.

20. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

I agree with vadim. Windows Phone 6.5.3 build 28014 is pretty slick. I am running it via EnergyROM and have been impressed with the functionality of the OS, and how "finger friendly" it now is. In conjunction with the newest version of Sense UI v2.5.1922, I am very happy with my HTC Touch Pro II.

Here is a link to the ROM I use if you ever want to check it out. This particular "Cook" builds ROMs for many different Windows Mobile Devices.
    EnergyROM "Leo" 28014/21885 ★ Sense 2.5

Tags: Add Tags