1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ Leaves RAM Market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Wow, I never would have expected such a big player in the market to up and leave. I've always known OCZ for their ram. I mean SSDs are in a similar forte, not the exact same but similar and I'm sure they'll do SSDs well, but I saw this and just said aloud,"WHAT?!" That was my go-to RAM brand, oh well such is life.

3. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

This is unexpected!
    What's next - Corsair ditching their range in favor of head-phones?

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's probably all about profit margins. RAM is almost a commodity item nowadays.

5. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:no words.......

6. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

Is there any maufacture you can bank on being there in 12 months ?
    just of the top of my head Abit , BFG Now OCZ my prefered Suppliers of parts are falling by the way side.
    Am sure there are more but these spring to mind. Non seam to be going bust , just moving on to other things.

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I'll be good and baffled if Micron follows suit.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I guess if other companies keep undercutting prices, market saturation causing profit margins fall, general lack of performance difference between high end and low end products theres very little reason to keep competing. Seems like a wise choice.

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

That is a shame. I always liked OCZ ram, even though I use Corsair for 99% of my ram.

I was going to use 2x1gb of Corsair DDR2 in my soon to arrive mini itx board, and sell my 2x1gb of OCZ DDR2. Might have to do it the other way round, just for old times sake :D

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Wow, again, very surprised.
    Both my best sets of RAM are OCZ, not good for RMA :/

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

Hmm yes. My OCZ DDR2 has a lifetime warranty. I wonder how they will honor warranty claims, as the company isn't going bust, just ceasing to create the product or a suitable alternative...

12. karlosaneson

karlosaneson What's a Dremel?

Is this going to affect their excellent lifetime guarantee with the ram, which I have used twice over the last 5 years and is the only reason why I bought my second lot of ram.

13. Indybird

Indybird Why are you reading this?

This is surprising indeed...i used to buy ocz all the time. I'm glad they're staying in the ssd business though cause I'm looking to buy a revodrive soon

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Most of the so called manufacturers are dong nothing else then adding a heatspreader and a label anyways.

The parts used are all coming form Elpida, Hynix, Infineon, Renesas, Samsung or Toshiba and nowadays it's very hard to tell which parts are used in the final product, if you don't buy something without a heatspreader, where you can directly look at the parts.

So what I do is, I go with the old traditional one in this business, aka Kingston or I buy Samsung or Infineon original stuff.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

never been a fan of them. had their platinum DDR2, and wasn't very good. have to run exactly at specified settings otherwise it won't work. unlike the many Corsair kits i've had, where it allows for a huge range of options.

16. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Micron is a memory manufacturer. OCZ was not. OCZ was a circuit board, label and laser etched aluminium reseller, like most other DIMM 'manufacturers'.

I find it entertaining to watch so many people ascribe value to nothing more than a name on a plastic label or a heat spreader. It is really more sad to watch the collective PC builder enthusiast community be so uninformed, though.

17. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Jeesus. What next, AMD ditching CPUs?

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

I think you will find it is akin to saying "I like Asda's apples". You know the store didn't make them, but you know they chose that type(memory), that packaging(heatspreader/label) and they (Asda/OCZ) are providing you with the finished product and are the ones who you deal with in terms of support and warranty.

I found my OCZ DDR2 to clock a hell of a lot better than the Corsair DDR2 ever did, so while they didn't make the memory itself. The package they put together, which is afterall what the customer will get was better than the package Corsair had put together at the time.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

The difference is the "name" in this case is OCZ, who offer a lifetime warranty on their RAM. Names mean a lot in business. Profit and loss can be made or broken on a name. Customer service is tagged to a name as well. In this case, the market has lost a VERY good name in terms of customer service.

20. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

what, when did this happen?! why would they only concentrate on ssd's especially when there such a expensive product at the moment, not viable in a mainstream market, granteed nand prices will come down £1/per Gb ssd anyone? but still won't be anywhere near something like a samsung f3 1tb spinpoint, £40 for 1tb, now thats value for money, I feel quite sad actually, they also made some really good looking ram, I was just looking on there website at there liquid cooled ram, looked awesome

Tags: Add Tags