1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays [update: Good news, everyone!] - New Dell U series coming Q3. A downgrade big time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 10 May 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Dell has announced new Dell U series monitor coming this Q3:
    Dell U2412M, U2312HM, and the U2212HM.

All these monitors will be in 16:9. No more 16:10. :(
    The U2412HM will be 1920x1080, and not 1920x1200.
    U2312HM will be 1920x1080 as always. I don't know about the U2212H.
    All the new U series will be standard gamut.

In addition to this bad news, Dell will no longer use a high grade CFL lamp to provide you the great whites, but instead use standard """"""""white"""""""""" LED's

It is expected to be released this Q3.
    If you are thinking of buying the Dell U2410 or the U2311H, now is the time.

I highly doubt that the monitors will be better than the predecessor. Dell new produces are going into a major downhill. The Del Latitude E6400 was an awesome laptop, high performance, super duper solid, back light and high quality 0 flex keyboard, full standard layout keyboard, Display Port, ideal port positions, 16:10, ambient light sensor, 9-cell battery support without lifting the laptop, quiet operation, slim and small 90W PSU. The E6420... all gone... quality is lower than Inspiron series (price tag the same), 90W PSU is big and bulky, uneven (not even close) backlit keyboard, no more Display port, 16:9, lower resolution, 9-cell lifts the laptop, and so on... similarly with the XPS series and other laptop series.

It looks like the ASUS PA246Q might be the next alternative... we have to wait and see.

[update]
    Good news, everyone! [/Professor Farnsworth - Futurama]
    The Dell U2412M won't be replacing the U2410.. well not yet anyways.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/24.htm#dell_u2412m_price
    [/update]

Last edited: 22 Jul 2011
  2. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

Damn them, damn them all to heck!!!:duh::wallbash::eyebrow::D

3. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Thanks for the heads up, am going to be replacing my monitor this summer so will be on the look out!

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Seems like another good time to drag out facepalm.jpg but I couldn't be bothered.

**** 16:9. Seriously. **** 16:9.

Stupid Anti-consumer trend driven by the ever-harmful pursuit of profit margins masked by the ridiculous hype surrounding HD TV and all of its associated buzzword terms like '1080p'.

Glad I got my 24" 16:10 when I did.

[/rant]

5. GoodBytes

And let's not forget: LED.. whhooooo LED.... sounds futuristic... must be good.
    Stupidities.

6. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

link relating to this please, until provided anything on here is purely speculation. And through select searches all i can find is small articles of information regarding a driver.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I'm glad I got my 16:10 while they are still about too, the 'HD' trend seems to have stretched to high end consumer level products which is a shame. Hopefully HP dont do the same or else you'll have to buy NEC or Eizo to get a 16:10 monitor

8. GoodBytes

9. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

Oh man this is so ghey. I seriously hate 16:9 monitors. This is a serious downgrade. Hopefully dell will drop the price of the u2410 so I can buy 2 lol. If only there were more 16:10 monitors.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm sure they'll still stock some of the U2410s and such.

If not, well then it'll suck for them. All I'm wondering is when they'll release their professional series, they usually have to release at least ONE decent monitor every iteration.

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The U2711 is 16:9, yet I don't see anyone complaining about that. Never really got the 16:9 hate personally.

Bad times on the other stuff though. Why isn't RGB LED pushed into the mainstream more? I remember that the Dell XPS 16 did have an option for an RGB LED panel, so surely it can't be that expensive. Besides the U series is about pro quality, so they should be able to justify high prices.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That blows donkey balls. I love my U2410 and would love to get a pair for a tri-monitor setup but alas money does not permit me to. However when the money for this setup did arise in the future I would have like the option to buy another two.

I need a new video care worst than a new monitor or I could probably swing one before they're gone

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Are there ANY 1920x1200 screens left? Not long before the 30" market succumbs to this madness either. There are already too many high end manufacturers doing this. Eizo have just changed the spec of mine. It's now a 27" model.. so 2560x1440. They no longer make a 30" SPVA panel. The Color edge series will be next, then NEC will follow, then HP and Dell... and then that's it... 1440 is the max vertical desktop res you can have whether you like it or not.

NEC have just released a new 30" that's still 2560x1600 so panels are still being made... for now at at least.

I blame the panel manufacturers.. I bet it's they're fault. It IS stupid though. These are monitors, not TVs. Why do they think people want LESS desktop space? It's of NO relevance whatsoever that a computer screen match your TV in any way, so why do they do it?

Standard gamut on a consumer screen makes more sense though, as most people won't know jack about colour workflow and profiling.

Last edited: 11 May 2011
  14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

PA246Q...

They match it because they can sell it under the guise of "entertainment". Slap two speaks and a HDMI port on it and it's an all-in-one entertainment panel. AIO's are also to blame here too. I agree, it's a shitty trend, but the overwhelming trend is for "cheap and big" which dictates what panel makers concentrate their volume on. If you ever get emails from retailers - look at their headlines: "OMFG! 199 24 inch monitor!!"

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

PA246Q..... while stocks last no doubt. The writing is on the wall.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

17. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Dear 16:9 resolution, meet my dear friends mr. Smith and mr. Wesson...

18. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I hate this trend towards LED and 16:9 too. Definitely a downgrade.

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

16:9 is cheaper to produce, so it is obvious that the industry will go that route. Sorry guys, but it's simple economics of scale.

As for the LED backlights? Bleh.

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The ASUS PA246Q is a re-badged U2410. Same strengths and also the same weaknesses.