1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Silicon to improve batteries tenfold

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 16 Nov 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

It'd be nice to have a laptop that doesn't require charging every five minutes if it actually packs any large amount of power.

Equally; I see this going down a treat in most portable markets, simply because everyone would benefit from longer battery times. (Perhaps not a few companies, but meh, Almost everyone then.) Plus the slower degradation would make fussing over battery life a lot less common, which would be nice. I keep having to flatline my Mp3 player because I'm concerned about it not charging fully.

3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Brilliant news. I really hope these new fangled batteries come to fruition in the estimated time frame. A day without charging is unheard of so a week would be something really special.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just under a year by smart phone standard, keeping in mind bigger capacity battery = more power hungry processors get used.

im not a fan of degrading batteries....... the best thing about lithium-ion was that they don't degrade as much.

hope they figure that out. even just 3 to 5 fold would be more than enough, for immediateness future.

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Focus on the car batteries and then the company I work for can get rid of the Diesel's and go to them, so then I don't have to pay for private mileage grr £200 a month that cost's me at the moment.

Would be interesting to have some sort of battery though that could run a high spec PC all day or all week, and only take a few minutes to charge just think of the money saved from it.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Vastly improved portable power supplies, if that technology can be expanded and enhanced greatly then technology in general, not just computing, would be alot less restricted in capabilities.

7. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

You might think, but somehow I can't see it being less costly to recharge one of these, it'll probably just be more energy pumped in for less time, granting only a very small net saving.

That being said, I'd like this simply so I stop obsessing over my phone's battery life. Lasts 10 times as long? Whatever then, leave Wi-Fi enabled. Oh, and why not do some light video encoding?

All right, maybe I'm being optimistic.

8. sWW

sWW Minimodder

Please change grapheme to graphene.

Also
    Unfortunately there wouldn't be any energy savings to be had. You would just be stockpiling all the energy for a day/week in advance. Still costs the same amount of money to put it in a battery in 5 minutes as it does to slowly dribble it into your computer over the day/week. Only really helps if there is a power cut.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

How about the weight? Will they be lighter?

10. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I think you mean a single lithium atom :)

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I think "bout bloody time" sums it up

12. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Wow, I'll be able to charge our lasses boobs up
    and play with them for even longer........ ang on
    Jordan love, I'm just looking for the heavy duty charger.

13. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

"a silicon atom can accommodate four lithium ions per atom while it requires six carbon atoms to accommodate a single carbon atom in conventional designs"

I think that second carbon should be turned to "lithium".

14. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

I have absolutely no idea why they are still researching on these technology based on Lithium. Most of these tech aren't even ready for another 4 - 5 years.

And we are running out of Lithium soon. Or precisely, we could no longer produce Cheap Lithium like we currently do within 4 - 5 years.

15. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

id be excited to see this technology make it into the electric vehicle market. instead of lugging around 1,000lbs worth of batteries to have 60-70 miles of useful range we could actually make electric cars a competitive alternative to fossil fuels.

16. yassarikhan786

It might be competitive, but it will probably cost a hell of a lot more to travel the same distance. And imagine how long it would take to charge the battery.

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Available in 2050. Keep reading about battery advancements but they never surface.

18. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

It is about bloody time we see some real progress in battery longevity, capacity and power delivered. I'm not talking about tablets, phones and other rubbish. I'm talking about big industrial applications from cars to emergency power systems. Lead acid, AGM and other classic batteries are well over 50 years old. And nothing really change since all of that stuff was introduced. In particular institutions like hospitals can benefit greatly from this. Emergency power demand for hospitals 40-50 years ago and now grew, probably, by factor of 50. Stronger batteries with extended battery life are seriously needed now, in this [crazy] power hungry world.

19. yassarikhan786

It's the same with most so-called advancements.

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I work in research and development. Most often discoveries like this are made on the laboratory scale or sometimes just with theoretical models o proofs based on a few molecules under ideal conditions.

Really the hardest and most expensive aspect is to turn something into a production scale process that can be done at a reasonable price. A lot of times when you try to scale up you run into all sorts of technical hurdles, or find you need to go off and invent new manufacturing processes. Often those advances are just as big if not bigger than the initial breakthrough.

Remember the "worm drive" hard drives that were supposed to surpass the read/write speeds of conventional HDD's.... yah conventional caught up before the technology ever matured the largest one ever made was like 100 mb...http://www.storagesearch.com/view64.html

Tags: Add Tags