1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Cunning Plan.

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Keith_Whi, 11 Jul 2009.

1. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

At the moment I have my office upstairs in the 'little' room.

During the recent heat we have experienced I have seen my room temps move up to around 32C. Although the PC's have not been too bad having only hit 52C.

However, I like cool. The Cooler the better so I decided to move things into my garage....

Monitoring temps over the recent 'hot' period resulted in a 3/4 degree difference between the house, ( any where in the house ) and the garage. The garage in question is North facing and completly covered by the upstairs bedroom. It is almost like a basement.

And so I have begun the migration to the garage.

By the way, Building Regs are required and being applied too. !!

I am using a simple system. Air in, Air out.

I am creating a 'swirl' of air in the room to reduce temps even further.

To do this I am using these fans.

[​IMG]

They seem fast and are reported to move a lot of air.

In this pic you will see the Input fan at the top right. The output will be in the top left on the breeze block wall. This will vent to the out side.

[​IMG]

Would like to keep you updated on the move and all comments etc are welcome. :D

Keith.

2. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

Great stuff, will be interesting to see the results and any changes in temps etc.
    BTW, I have the same recycling bag things (irrelevant fact!).

3. Keith_Whi

I'm in.

[​IMG]

Been in 24 hours and I am impressed. The room temp is the most noticible having dropped a full 8C.

The CPU temps have dropped ~4C and the GPU temps have dropped around the same.

Although it hasn't been has hot this week I have recorded the temps on various WU's and during the same weather as when I was 'upstairs'.

All in all very happy with that.. :D

Time to see how far I can push em now. :rock:

4. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Nice one Kieth! Sadly I'm still stuck in the 'little' room. Treadmill and Rowing machine clogging up the garage.

5. Keith_Whi

:D

I have moved said 'treadmill and rowing machine' to the little room. the wife is very happy now as she can sleep at night without 30C and 80db of fans whirring.. :brrr:

6. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

7. Keith_Whi

I and the Mrs have been sweltering lately due to the heat from just 2xPC's. mine were in the bedroom opposite!! It really has been like a sauna!

I had this issue with building regs. The guy wanted me to insulate the floor! ( Walls had to be done though ) After expaining the situation he was good and realised that the CO output from Aircon would far out way the insulation CO saving.

Result. :D

8. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Call that a fan??! .... this is a fan :naughty: ......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's a 9" extractor with temperature and speed controller :thumb: (The PC Lab is nearly ready :rock:)

[​IMG]

9. Keith_Whi

:thumb: I looked at 9inch but decided it would be too hard to cut the hole in my exterior wall. May have to reconsider if anything changes temp wise or if I can somehow hide another PC in ere somewhere....:rock:

Liking the controller. I have also been looking at them for the winter. I have found some for around 40 notes but not sure on the quality. What make is your controller John?

10. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

@Keith - Part of my house re-wire spec included a fan installation, and when I asked the electrician about adding a temperature controller (so that the fan only comes on when the temp hits a preset level) and also to add a speed controller (as a 9" fan at full tilt can be pretty noisey!), and he said 'no problem'!! He finished installing it on Friday. (He should finish all the other loose-end jobs on the house re-wire this week, and that includes the gigabit Ethernet :hip:)

The fan is an Xpelair, as is the speed controller (its an EC6H fan controller) - you can get a cheaper version which has fixed speed settings, but this one has continuous adjustment. The temperature controller is just a digital programmable room thermostat linked to the speed controller (its a Drayton Didistat+3).