1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BFG 7600 GT OC and ATI X1800 GTO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Mar 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Nice review there, looks like it's going to come down to a whats cheapest at the time contest, unless there is a way to unlock the X1800GTO, in which case it would win hands down.

Now the question most enthusiasts will be asking, did you get any ideas as to how either card overclocked?

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I like the new way you tested the cards there. I would suggest you do 2 tests though, one at 1280x1024 and another one at 1920x1200 as that seems to be another popular resoultion amoung the crowd.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1920x1200? Seriously? That's not exactly a common choice, or even, applicable choice to most people.

5. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Well, it's increasingly common on the one hand, but I seriously doubt people buying £500 monitors will buy £150 graphics cards. Our 7900 GTX test included 1900x1200.

On the OC front, we're working on it!

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I didn't get the chance to overclock the BFG Tech cards before I finished this review - then I come to turn my board on this morning and it's dead for some reason. I'll have to add that in later on when I get a replacement board... :sigh:

As far as Radeon X1800GTO - I don't tend to overclock reference samples so we'll wait until we get a retail card on that front. :thumb:

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

1920x1200 is a tad high to game on these cards respectably, IMO. As Wil said, we did include 1920x1200 in the GeForce 7900 GTX roundup. :thumb:

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I like this review because it takes realistic resoloutions into consideration for the average user.

Nice one :thumb:

9. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

As good as the review was, I felt it was a bit unfair to put a reference ATI card against an overclocked Nvidia card. I know that they are both in the same price region and both going for the same market, but I don't feel that the test was representative of what to expect from a 7600GT.

It seems slightly misleading and people not realising that the BFG card was overclocked will go out and buy a cheaper, stock 7600GT and expect a similar level of performance. I came out of the review not knowing how a stock 7600GT would perform, with the only indication being towards the end when you mention the 1800GTO is slightly faster... not very informative by any stretch of the imagination.

I feel that when an overclocked card is reviewed, it would be nice to include a comparison of it against a reference board in addition to any other cards on test.

Just my 2cents...

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

The test was representative of how BFG Tech's GeForce 7600 GT OC performs against the Radeon X1800GTO. The latter is more expensive and while it would have been good to add in a reference 7600 GT, the BFG card is likely to be one of the largest-selling 7600 GTs.

We made it clear that the BFG Tech card was overclocked and I'll make it clearer if you feel its worth it by adding in the reference clock speeds at the top of the second page where we've listed the clocks.

FWIW, every ATI partner that we spoke to at CeBIT will ship the X1800GTO at the reference clock speeds. In that respect, I think the test is pretty fair.

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The 7600 GT looks like the winner to me; Ill follow up with the rest of my opinion later though (got to go to class :blush: )

12. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

In a pure performance battle, the two strike me as being about equal. I play a lot of BF2, so if everything else was equal, I'd be getting the X1800 GTO. However, that price difference really changes the whole field. If the 7600 GT stays lower-priced than the X1800, and stays available, I think it's the winner here.

13. MSIC

MSIC What's a Dremel?

First post here, but wanted to say
    1) Great review
    2) I just bought a 7600GT this afternoon from Dabs, as they have a Dabs Value 7600GT for about £125!!!!! (£134 delivered)
    I am well aware that it won't be overclocked out of the box, but for that money it surely beats all the reviewed cards.

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The 7600 GT looks to be less expensive, consumes less power, is quieter, and in some ways, more attractive; this is why I feel it is the superior choice. While the performance is more or less the same across the board, with potshots being taken both ways, the 7600 offers the most value.

15. tank_rider

Wow, at £125, thats some serious value there!! Really looks like the 7600GT takes it at those prices, unless like i said a way to unlock the disabled pipelines can be found :) Will be good to get an idea of what sort of overclock both cards can manage (well a retail GTO). Anyone know if theres anything planned on getting one of the die shrink GPU's onto AGP, would be nice to get a cooler GPU for my media pc in a few months time. Meh, by then AM2 will be out and they'll be secondhand 939 pci-e boards two a pennie.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2006
  16. Tim S

Tim S OG

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an AGP 7600 but I've not heard anything official yet. :)

17. tank_rider

And if you had i doubt you would be alowed to tell us anyway ;)

18. MSIC

MSIC What's a Dremel?

PCI-Express, 256MB DDR3 RAM, the normal 7600GT that you just reviewed (minus about 20Mhz on the core etc).
    PS It's £128, but the delivery price is correct (for UK customers).
    :D
    Will let you know about exact specs when mine arrives

Edit: Sorry, thought you guys were saying the above model was AGP but just re-read your posts.

19. DanaG

DanaG What's a Dremel?

1280x1024? What about 1440x900 (there's a 19" LCD with that res) or 1680x1050?

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

AFAIK, there is one monitor that has a 1440x900 resolution - however, the number of people using that resolution is very limited (at least from looking at our own stats engine)...

In fact, 1440x900 falls under the 'others' section in our screen size stats, whereas 1280x1024 is well over 1/3 of bit-tech's readers.

Tags: Add Tags