1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up VMware Player folding

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 24 Apr 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Saspro could you post your link to the guide again please, I have been googling for it for some time now and haven't found it. I was using the link posted in the old forum as a bookmark. How foolish :duh:

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Found it here

I am having a problem setting it up on another CPU only machine though, I get the error message "this host does not support VT" as soon as the VMware player starts up, and it says that I have configured the virtual machine to run on a 64 bit host. I didn't though, and the production rate of that particular client seems abnormally low for such a good CPU (its yet another E7400 which I have overclocked).

The other prob that I am having is the folding client stating that it has set up 2 instances, as in at the bottom of vmware player are two lines of text "Setting up instance 2" and "Setting up instance 1"

It's only a dual core processor, and I installed the player and client exactly as I did on my other rigs, so what's the problem with this one?

I found this on the site that I downloaded the virtual folding client from:

It will run an instance of folding per processor that it finds (logical processor, so 2 on hyperthreading and dual-core CPUs) or if there are multiple x86_64 processors it will run an SMP client per 4 processors.

Does this mean that there should be 2 instances running on the other 2 dual core machines that I have running? The only difference is that they are a C2D E6400 and C2D E6600, and this is the slightly newer architecture E7400. That shouldnt make a difference though? :confused:

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  2. Unicorn

Here is a little more info on the strange 64 bit error that I was getting earler. The error message itself (straight from the messages log in VMware Player) is:

You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, this host is not capable of running 64-bit virtual machines or this virtual machine has 64-bit support disabled.
    For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152

Strange because I didnt do anything differently this time and it's throwing up this error message all of a sudden. I believe this has something to do with the pathetic PPD that I am getting from an overclocked E7400 chip (~900 PPD). I'd love some help with this before the chimp challenge starts as I want to be able to run this machine 24/7 at least for the duration of the challenge and have a higher rate of production as a result of that.

If the info helps at all its an E7400 C2D chip in a Biostar TP45-HP board.

TIA.

EDIT: Yes I am aware that this edit comes at 3am :grr: unfortunately this is the usual time that I call it quits at when I have a medium to high workload. I have had a horrendous night in the workshop between trying to get a stable high O/C on a customers (stubborn and unstable by nature!) machine and trying to get this E7400 to SMP fold properly with VMware. After much google searching I found this topic on the intel website, which claims that the E7400 does not support VT (virtualization technology) and therefore will not run this properly. I guess I'm going to have to install the standard SMP client on this machine to fold, until the faulty 9800GX2 I pulled out of it and RMA'd is returned anyway.

What a sad and unproductive waste of time this has been :rolleyes:

Last edited: 25 Apr 2009
  3. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

wow sounds like you have had a pretty bad time with that system.

This folding bussiness can get pretty obsessive eh...

hope you have better luck with the next system your on (and 3am is crazy to still be working- although i know we have all done it! especially when it comes to folding :cooldude:)

4. Unicorn

Such a mess lol :duh:. First the GX2 gave out on me, then I couldn't get the VMware folding app running on it! Let this be a warning to all potential folders on C2D chips out there - Not all of them support VT which is necessary for the Virtual machine client to run. For now I am running an instance of the standard cpu client on both cores, but as soon as it completes those WUs later today I will get the SMP client installed and hopefully up it's PPD a little.

5. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Huurmm I like the look of this, currently my Q9550 is giving me 1.5k a day on a Windows SMP client....might have a crack at this virtualization.

Cheers for the link bud :D

6. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

You should be able to get about 4400 ppd from 2 virtual machines on a Q9550 at stock speed. This is whilst also running a couple of GPUs. Enjoy the boost :thumb:

7. SwiftDestiny101

8. SwiftDestiny101

Also, the guide you linked, it doesn't seem to save WU's - once you close the VM what it had done is lost and it starts from scratch next time.

Is this meant to happen?

Could I run a standard linux distro in a VM, like say Linux Mint and still see the same performance leap?

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

VMPlayer only supports 2 cores so set it at 2 (so you can run 2 players on a quad)

10. SwiftDestiny101

Okay cheers, what I had done just blindly copying the guide :)

11. Frank_Kehoe

Frank_Kehoe Folder

I followed the above guide, had no problem.
    Installed 2 instances of VM on a quad core system, and am now getting close to 5000 ppd from them.
    Happy days.