1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The PPD Drop hits again :(

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 2 May 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My 9.5K point/ day rig is back to less than 3K today, a 511 point WU has taken a full 19 hours to complete bringing the faster (more overclocked) of my two 8800 GTS's to its knees and a piss poor 342 points per day. This is the LOWEST I have ever seen a cards production rate get, and frankly I'm worried that the card might be about to die with that low PPD.

Ideas? The other card just dropped to 200 PPD :eyebrow: There has to be something wrong with those cards, they produce a steady 3.5-4K usually.

2. recklessrich

recklessrich We all know what a dremel is

Ppd's that low with a 8800GTS definitely looks like a problem.

Even my older 8800GTS's (a 320mb & a 640mb) used to get around 2k ppd with 511's

Have you checked your temperatures when running 511's?

3. Unicorn

I have, I monitor my temps on all system components at regular intervals. 40 celcius and 44 celcius on both cards, definately not overheating. They both have a ridiculous amount of airflow and an AC accelero Xtreme 8800 cooler and are overclocked.

I'd like to hear from Sas or some of the other "farm folders" on this as I heard mention of 8800 cards dying in a thread not so long ago. If the cards are faulty, they aren't in warranty and will just have to be scrapped and replaced with new ones.

On another note I can't understand why the WUs that take longer and run hotter are only awarded 511 or 353 points, and the ones that run faster and cooler are awarded up to 1888 points. Seems to be no logic in that whatsoever from where I'm standing. Surely the units that take more effort from your hardware to complete should be worth the higher points?

4. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

You could try the NV memory checker and see if the memory is going.

5. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I think you might be referring to the thread where we discussed the high failure rate of our PNY 8800GTs. When cards start to go south, they tend to fail the client 'self test' or just start to spit out early unit ends with increasing frequency. I don't think you're having the same problem with your cards based on the description of the problem.

The only things I can think of are:

a) The cards have for some reason shifted into low power 3D mode. A reboot should resolve this.
    b) If you are running an SMP client as well, the SMP may be starving the GPUs of CPU resources. I have had this happen to me when I have set up Prifinitty 2 with the GPUs set at 'realtime' for a Fahcore_14 WU then a Fahcore_11 WU comes along and things slow down to a crawl until I also give this a higher priority.

Good luck resolving the problem. We need you going at full steam for the challenge :thumb:

6. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

I have a PC with three 8800GT cards in it. Usually two of them are getting over 3K ppd and one 500 ppd.
    It is the 511 point work units that make them crawl. I have just checked, and at the moment,
    3101 ppd 420 point unit
    4999 ppd 353 point unit
    500 ppd 511 point unit.

Like you, I thought something was wrong, but sometimes for days they all whizz along 3k ppd.

I now think it is just diabolical units that cause it, and I get loads. I think Saspro has had
    his share of them too. <grin>

Edit:
    Two hours later and I have on the same 8800GT cards
    4066ppd 353 point unit
    3024ppd 511 point unit
    3101ppd 420 point unit

Strange, no problem with a 511 pointer this time

Last edited: 2 May 2009
  7. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Definately, something wrong there. Possibly the work unit but should be a lot higher PPD.

8. Unicorn

That did it... restarting removed my affinity locks and set the VMware SMP client's priority back to "normal". Can't believe I didn't think of that before :wallbash:. I put it down to the hectic week I've had. It was the last week of the semester and I had a research paper and several lab reports to submit by 4pm yesterday. Been burning the 3am oil every night since last weekend trying to keep up with uni and work :blah:

Thanks for the replies anyway guys, Fahmon reports exactly 10,063.61 PPD at present. Now THAT'S more like it :D