1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD reintroduces FX processors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 7 Jun 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

man, getting tired of waiting - they couldn't even release the same old processors with a change in processing methods and size to reduce power and increase overclocking - and if I thought of it - it's a no-brainer!

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I know it's wishful thinking, but the idea that they're even aiming to corner an 'FX'-suitable market segment, considerate of customers who aren't interested in integrated graphics; is perhaps a positive indication of the capabilities of Bulldozer.

Does this mean that AMD feel they can actually take a bite out of Intel's enthusiast/gamer market with competitively-powerful FX CPUs?
    I hope it does, and I hope they're right.

4. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

I'm sorry, but did they start advertising their new CPU series before they'd even hired people to design it or something?

This is taking an absolute age!

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

"FX-branded products will be geared toward enthusiast PCs and HD entertainment aficionados"

WHAT? I get the first part, enthusiast PCs, fine. But HD entertainment aficionados? Do they mean HD video? An 8 core enthusiast grade processor should be massive overkill for this - if the cheapest, most basic CPU in the new line-up can't decode multiple 1080p streams simultaneously without breaking a sweat, they need to go back to the drawing board. Or by "HD entertainment aficionados" do they mean gamers / video / photo editing aficionados? In which case why not say gamers / video / photo editing aficionados?

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i think even VIA could make a single core cpu+gpu solution that could play HD video. i'm sure what amd meant is an entire HD experience, so with video, games, rendering, etc. if they really are talking about just video, then i agree with you.

7. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Perhaps for people Ripping/Compiling/Encoding in HD? rather than people who want to watch HD...

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

^ Definitely, when they mention "HD" they're obviously referring to production & manipulation rather than simple playback...

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

fx cpus was for dual socket systems ?

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yep you're almost certainly right. I was just pointing out that "HD entertainment aficionados" is quite a deceptive way of putting it.

11. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Stop re-naming stuff AMD and just give us some new chips to buy already!!

12. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Its not like AMD is alone on this... Intel did the same thing with the next gen i3, i5 and i7's

13. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

14. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

man I would just buy them for the boxes they come in :p

15. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I don't care what they call the things, but I do want to be able to buy and run one! Come on AMD, or you'll find that the "Worlds first 8-core Desktop Processor" will be somebody else's.

16. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

goddamit Bindi.....I was expecting the annoucment to be the release of some bulldozer chips, not the reserection of a brand.... Oh well.

17. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Some later ones were (you're thinking of Quad FX I think) but the first range was of single-socket CPUs.

18. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Saw the pic on AMD's facebook page. What they said about it I really don't care. The waiting is killing me and it starts to get annoying after a while. We want the chips ready to ship with its detected flaws fixed.

Me wants to cry

19. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Yeah that is called Llano. Process shrink + Integrated 6550 GPU = Llano APU. Llano supposedly features no new architecture other than what it took to integrate the equivelent to a 6550 on chip, its just a process shrink. Its only taken them 2+ years to do.

Intel is at least rumoring to be doing some minor architecture tweaks on Ivy Bridge when it is released (and some heavy modifications to the integrated GPU) in addition to not just a process shrink, but 3D transistors, all of this just a year after Sandy Bridge came out.

I am reserving judgement completely till I see what Llano and Bulldozer actually deliver, but from what it seems like Llano is going to target budget and casual gamers, and bulldozer is going to target budget workstation power users and cheap servers. Intel is going to have the users who need serious power, without heavy graphics and who don't want to pay for a discrete GPU and also users who already know they are going to pony up for a good discrete GPU and want/need the CPU processing power.

So basically again AMD is going to target the "low end" of most catagories (or at least that seems to be what their CPU and APUs are going to be able to handle). I want big competition between the two, because it can be pretty healthy, especially for us consumers, but what has me worried is that as process nodes shrink, chips become cheaper to manufacturer. Currently, at least pre-32nm, it was easy for AMD to produce processors that undercut Intel in the $ for performance catagory, even if the upper mid and high end processors just weren't nearly as fast, and clock for clock weren't nearly as fast. Now that process dies are shrinking, a $200 gap in chip price might well become $100 or $50 or less to go to a better performing Intel chip. Makes it harder for AMD to really capture the low and mid range of the market in anyway significant way if Intel chips that perform better only cost a very slight price premium.

Tags: Add Tags