1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia teases Kepler-based Tegra 5 'Logan' chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. rollo

rollo Modder

With tegra 4 in 0 devices at the moment. ( 1 once nvidia launches its shield if that counts) making a faster one when no one wants your current one seems counter productive.

Even the new nexus has gone away from tegra. Nvidias tegra 4 is me to be very expensive compared to Qualcomm.

Nvidia need to consider there place in the market and try and get a major phone / tablet supplier to want to buy there product.

3. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I think there are lots of reasons why various manufacturers change chip suppliers from time to time, price is of course a big consideration, availability at time of the OEM start of manufacture prior to release of their newest products is another.....the issue Tegra4 had was it was released after the upcoming deign of tabs and phones/Tabs we see now were already in the pipeline prior to T4.

If I recall was there also some issues with their business focus shifting to the LTE version instead of releasing an LTE enabled product 1st (did anyone want a non-LTE chip?)?

So in terms of their market place considerations, I think they are okay - but I agree they could of benefitted from more design wins that the latest ZTE phone.

That as an aside - Tegra5 is exactly what people will be expecting from Nvidia, PS3 power in a mobile device and that is an exciting proposition, especially if they couple this with a competitive amount of CPU grunt within their target <=2w power envelope......genuinely excited to see this.

4. DbD

DbD Minimodder

It's in some toshiba tablets you can buy today. Tegra 4 got delayed, and lost a lot of business because of that - it certainly wasn't ready in time for the new nexus - but it is being used. Don't think the A15 is arm's greatest chip either (too power hungry) so that doesn't help.

Tegra 5 does look good however - full kepler feature set in something that tiny is impressive. Also simplifies nvidia's development - they develop one architecture that can be used efficiently for everything from phones to super computers.

5. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Does... does that mean it can run Crysis?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hah! Don't be... Hang on, "Recommended: GeForce 8800 GS." Well, I'll be damned. Looks like we need a new meme, guys...

7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

It should run it, just don't expect 60FPS!

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I find this rather exciting. An 8800GTX is still a damn powerful bit of hardware that can run games such as Faklout 3 flat out at 2560*1600. Crysis on a PS Vita sized thing would run well at full settings.

9. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Well maybe the graphics side, but not the CPU side. I'm assuming there isn't an ARM build of Crysis and I very much doubt it would be fast enough to run it emulating x86.

10. Gareth Halfacree

It was a joke, son, a joke. Although there would be absolutely nothing to stop somebody with the source from compiling Crysis for ARM.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Agreed, the 8800 is likely on-par with mainstream discrete graphics cards today, at least with games that aren't DX11 compatible. My old 7900GTO would actually be pretty capable if it had more than 256MB of VRAM.

With the idea in mind of comparing new mobile hardware to old high-end hardware, what still surprises me is how nobody has mainstreamed the idea of creating mobile versions of older consoles. I've seen pictures of a handheld gamecube (perfect system for handheld since the discs are small and the hardware is dirt cheap), but I've never seen a place where such a thing could be bought. Re-creating the hardware of old consoles with modern factories could make them incredibly power efficient to the point of passive cooling and would still be very cheap.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I want a new phone with a Tegra 4 in it. Im disappointed there isnt one in America or on Verizon. I was hoping for the Droid Bionic back then when it was supposed to be T3, but that changed due to broken LTE connectivity. I ended with my old X2.

13. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Tegra 4 is a very competent chip, but Nvidia have kinda messed up while Qualcomm's swooped in to eat everyone's lunch. Qualcomm's main advantage has been their integrated baseband in their SoCs that provide LTE connectivity without needing an additional chip.

However, Nvidia still have the right pieces to stage a comeback - Kepler graphics in Logan is one of them, the other is their Icera software-defined basebands. They just need to put them together and market the crap out of them to customers now.

14. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

all this talk of 8800 series... i'm still rocking 8800GTS 640MB on my rig! It's still fine! Runs BF3 and Skyrim on medium flawlessly at 1680x1050!

But to think that kind of power (or more) in a phone... seems... wow... mind blowing.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

All depends when in 2014, the big 2 would expect samples by late November at latest. Outside of those 2 who can really afford this level of tech anymore in the smartphone sector.

If Microsoft surface rt 2 gets released I'd expect it to be on tegra 4. The fact the first tablet is made by Toshiba of all company's is a pretty big shock. Along with a price tag to match of $480 for the tegra 4 based one, that is just below an iPad 4 and about double the price of the nexus. Another DOA andriod tablet.

They need a Samsung sold phone or htc lg to take a gamble and see what comes.

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Damned, just when I tough I was done with choosing the right hardware for my Amiga keyputer project. Could be interesting to know if it will be availabe as Qseven or COM express module.

Well, 'llI bet on Qseven and will go with a Cortex-A15 until nVidia is ready with this :).

17. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

So the FaceWorks 'Ira' demonstration on a Logan development board is "only" running in HD and using 2W, comparing it to an 8800 puts it approx in perspective but that still seems like a hell of a jump in performance versus TDP :jawdrop:

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Surface RT runs MAME and SNES emulators. :D

19. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

The thing that gets me is look at the size of the 8800gtx and all the hardware to run it, and then look at that!

The future is bright, the future is going to cost a f*cking fortune!

20. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I just wish they could get the power draw and size down on the full size cards. At this rate, my 850W PSU won't be able to run an SLI setup in the next couple of years. I'm running two 660ti cards now (total of 4 x 6 pin connectors). Based on Valley numbers alone (2400 vs 1200 scores @ 1080), my 660ti cards are twice as powerful as the 550ti cards, but do they really need twice the number of 6 pin power connectors? I wish NVidia would spend more time making the desktop GPUs more power efficient.