1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 6Gb 780's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 22 Mar 2014.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

....and the framerate will be exactly the same as the 3GB version....

Not to be dismissive, but I'd be surprised if there was any tangible performance benefit outside of those running 4k 60hz Monitors (no one on BT AFAIK?)

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Hasn't the Titan Black proven the point in benchmarks Parge?

4. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

MSI had better do the same with a step up program or else they are going to look very miserly and lacking respect for their customers loyalty, yeh, so I bought a MSI 780 3Gb OC a month ago, so what ;)

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

So it's basically a poor man's Titan?

Not sure what to think of this really. Right now it just seems that GPU manufacturers are scrambling to prepare for 4K.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Same old 'Snake Oil' sales pitch!

7. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah totally. TBH I can't really see 4k catching on.

I mean, a few years ago we were told "Buy a HD TV, it's great !" but unless you use Sky there are literally about four or five HD channels. Then we're told "Hey ! throw away that HD TV and buy a 3DTV !" and there are about four 3D channels.

Now we're getting "Hey ! throw away that 3DTV and buy a 4k TV !".

But the thing is, if there are only four or five accessible HD channels now then I can't really see there being any more for 4k. I have a feeling that this time it may backfire....

I mean yeah, could be OK for PC work if you need a lot of desktop space/dense pixels, but it just seems that there aren't really any GPUs (not alone any way) that will be able to make acceptable FPS levels.

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Agreed, wouldn't rush out to buy a 6Gb card but if there's one going via a step up program I'm joining the queue :cooldude:

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'd be tempted if a quality 4K monitor came along with G-Sync support. That's the only way it would make sense in the short term. If only for these Homeworld 'Remasters' vaunted by Gearbox! :D

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

:worried:

At the moment, 6GB has no tangible benefit to 4K screen owners as the need for high level anti aliasing is negated. Unless you're running four heavily overclocked GPUs you can't get the performance required to run the higher AA levels anyway. 3GB has been enough for me so far - in fact, almost all games I currently play rarely get above 2GB. For example, Metro Last Light only uses about 1.4GB VRAM - I can't run it with MSAA because the frame rate suffers horribly.

I've say that in perhaps two years 6GB will come in handy, but we'll be two or three GPU generations ahead. In the meantime, it's only really handy for those running hardcore CAD programmes - and if you're doing that kind of thing you'd be better off getting a proper workstation class card.