1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell Ultrasharp: Very Hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluespider42, 29 Sep 2011.

1. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

I have a Dell U2711, I am very pleased with it, however it gets extremely hot - like too hot to touch at the back sometimes. Is this normal? It's been quite warm here lately and I have been sweating just sitting infront of it! I also imagine the power draw must be considerable.
    So anyone else have hot monitors? This is my first high-end display so not really sure what to expect.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea got the same monitor and a Yuraku 24" right next to it and both get pretty hot lucky I have a 6ft window next to it

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Hmmmm my monitors get very warm but never too hot to touch... I think something fishy is going on with your U2711 if it's literally too hot to touch - it shouldn't be putting out that much heat. It's known and accepted that the U2711 runs hot, but not that hot I shouldn't think.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

too hot to touch means something must be wrong.

im same as Lenny, my one gets warm, my guess is no more than 40c.

5. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

How high have you got the brightness? My 2707wfp used to get pretty hot until I calibrated it properly, it's still fairly warm but nowhere near as hot as before (and my eyes don't feel like they're melting every time I see a white screen).

6. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

What's your room ambient temp?

Also is the monitor in an alcove or surrounded by anything like the computer being next to it?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

7. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Got the same monitor If i put my hand on top i can run it along when tis been on for a while.

Its hot but not burn yourself.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Is the monitor under a desk or shelf or open to free space?

9. Teelzebub

Lol When I said hot I didn't mean burn you hand hot it been on since 8am and the Dell is 32c atm and the Yuraku 39c so not that hot.

10. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Hmm, very unusual.. you should find someone to check it asap.

11. Teelzebub

Just reread the thread and if it gets too hot to touch then somethings wrong

12. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

My U2711 gets similarly hot, too. Not hot enough to actually burn but definitely warm enough to discourage fingering the back while its on. It has typical power consumption of 113W so certain amount of heat output is to be expected.

13. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

get some one else to touch it .. and if they think its okay, merely warm .. you are being a bit of a pansy hehe..

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Also, it's normal that it's hot IF your brightness level is set at 100%.
    But if you set it to "normal" levels like ~30% it should be just warm.

The reason for the hotness is all the CFL lamps used to illuminate this huge ass monitor.
    Apple 27inch monitor uses fans to cool it off, as it has no air vent. How annoying that would be after a year (which is after the warranty), when the fan is filled with dust and starts to be hearable. Oh and Apple uses white LED's... but they do heat up, due that they are high grade ones, bright, and a lot of them, PLUS the thunderbolt chip and components.

If it's hot where you can't leave your hand on it, at 30% brightness or so, then something is wrong, and you should contact Dell for a replacement one under warranty (Dell pays shipping both directions, and you get to keep your monitor until you receive the replacement, which you simple switch the monitor, put the provided pre-paid shipping label and call the shipping company for a pick-up)

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Add a fan to it. :D

16. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Thanks for your imput. Ok its not burning my hand but its definintely uncomfortable to touch. Brightness 30% usually but sometimes 50% in the daytime. Abiant room temp 23Cish but one of the reasons I noticed is that it heated the room up to close to 30C yesterday evening which wasn't very pleasent. Its just sat on my desk, not covered/obstucted or anything. I guess with a power draw of 113W then heat is to be expected - I mean the old 100W light bulbs were very hot!
    SO maybe I'm just being a fanny - it's just this is the most expensive monitor I've had so I'm being very protective.
    Good to know about Dell's replacement service I could not do with being without a computer while they fix/replace it.
    With that in mind is there any reason not to get it replaced, you know - just in case?
    Thanks again, from my very warm front room!

17. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I rigged up a 200mm fanmade a basic stand added a three pin extension, bingo defelcted heat cooler mits ..

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

My NEC monitors draw about 75W and I have brightness at about 85% (totally different from Dell screens tbh) and they are quite warm, so I can imagine a screen drawing over 100W will be very warm if not actually hot. I don't think there's anything to worry about. :thumb:

19. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I have the 24 inch version and I have my brightness set to 30%. My eyes can't handle anything above 40-50%. The screen is super bright. It does get warm, about 30 C I'd say.