1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How would you tackle this roundabout?

Discussion in 'General' started by lancer778544, 7 Oct 2014.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

This has raised quite the discussion in work and I'd like to ask the B-T hivemind to see what they think. This is the roundabout in question with the route you want to take:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first two exits on the roundabout go nowhere basically and the majority of traffic will be going the same route as you. As you can see, there are two unmarked lanes entering the roundabout but there is only one on the exit. Which lane would you take?

I would pick lane two personally as it's past 12 o' clock but my coworker who is a local would pick lane 1 as to him, the sign shows the exit as coming straight off the top of the roundabout so it classed as straight ahead.

I would put up a poll but I don't know how...

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It should be lane 2 as the exit is more than half way round the roundabout (as is indicated on the road sign)
    Lane 1 is for the road that is straight ahead, and what looks like a site entrance to the left.

As for your coworker, he's likely to get his nose cut off driving like that.

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

Not sure how correct it is, but my instructor taught me that anything after the second exit was technically a right hand turn and so you signalled as such... though the government seems to disagree; however, the route you show is definitely an exit to the right despite the fact you're technally staying on the same road. But that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong...

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I think you can go in Lane 1 or Lane 2? - the line is thick for the entry and exit on the roundabout, I thought that meant two lanes on and off?

Though - if I was driving at it, I would go into 2.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Lane number the second.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Driving in greater London have taught me how most drivers in this area sees it: there's no correct lane only the lane with less cars!

Although the exit only have 1 lane and right of way isn't clear, this seems to be quite common at most London junctions. It is a bottleneck but traffic flows fine over here.

Personally, the first time I approach OP's roundabout, I'd take lane 2 because you are going more than 180 degrees around the roundabout. But after awhile if I see most cars take lane 1, then I'll go with majority.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Speak to your council's traffic or road department, they're pretty public facing so should talk it over with you.

If you raise the issue, they may even paint some arrows.

But yeah, I'd take lane 2.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

If both lanes had traffic lined up, I'd pick the lane that has the shortest queue. If the round about was empty then I'd choose the quickest line being lane 2. I'm an impatient driver, every car in front of me just annoys me... no matter what they do.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

What it is right, is the right lane innit butt - I means, lane number two!

/southwales /morespecificallynewport

I miss living in S. Wales!

11. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

How fast am I going???
    :D

12. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

2. Everyone else is in 1 is wrong.

Unless queue is shorter or there is some dithering ***** in two.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Lane 2 is a safe bet.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Depends on the weight of traffic when approaching the roundabout, both lanes are acceptable/legal (afaik) but my preference would be lane 1 going on the signage.

Mainly because (to me) the signage indicates the exit before the one i want to take is a minor road so it would be unlikely many people would be taking that exit, meaning i would have to filter into a busy left hand lane after the first exit and before the next.

To me it seems like the road layout could do with improving, if as you say the main exit is a single lane they are forcing drivers to filter down from two lane into one on a roundabout, there should really be two lanes at the exit, even if it was only for a few hundred yards.

16. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I have something similar where I live.

For me, its simple, as a BMW driver I basically get into the shortest lane - regardless of my intended direction of travel.

However, when I owned my Audi, I would have always chosen lane 2, there is always that small risk, if you took lane 1, the guy or gal next door wishes to that the second exit, just as your passing it and boom.

But as I said, I don't drive and Audi anymore, so I refer back to my original sentence!.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

Like a boss.

18. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Lane 2 - It's safer in that circumstance (there is a similar roundabout near me). If you get a moron in lane 1 cutting you up, you can easily compensate whilst in lane 2 by going around the roundabout and trying again.

If you did drive it in lane 1, and you cut someone up, there would be less options available to prevent you from hitting the (rightous) driver in lane 2.

Also, as with others here, I was taught that past 12 o'clock would mean it's a right turn and to use the right lane unless otherwise instructed (by road markings ETC)

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

As the driver of an impractically large car, I'd take both lanes in, out and throughout the roundabout.

If I was driving a more sensible car, I'd take two out of safety, banking on a jackass in nailing it through in lane 2 going "straight". As others have said , I believe the sign indicates that both lanes are valid to the stated destination - 1 for exiting prior to that, 2 for exiting after that.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2014
  20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

This

And its amazing the amount of people that don't know this.