1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage RAM channel and HDD operation mode problem :(

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by aaronbraich, 10 Apr 2010.

1. aaronbraich

aaronbraich What's a Dremel?

Hi!

Sorry about putting two problems into one thread, but I'm still new here and didn't know if I needed two or not... I still don't actually? :/

Anywho...the problem is that loading is slow. I figured, it must either be the HDD or RAM as the rest of my rig should be okay...

My PC specs:
    Intel i5
    Asrock p55 extreme
    Xfx 4890 1gb
    6gb xms ddr3 (3x 2gb)
    1tb Samsung SATA HDD - no partiton
    650w coolermaster PSU
    Windows 7

RAM problem (maybe)
    Firstly, my rig is using 6gb of DDR3 ram(3x2gb) but in the BIOS is says Dual channel and I can't seem to find the option to change it.
    In Windows, it recognises 6gb but how can I make sure it's using them all? I thought i'd need an even number to run dual channel but I may be wrong... so is this working to it's maximum capacity?

HDD problem
    Secondly, my HDD seems to be slower than it should. I looked in Device manager and it says "Samsung HD103UJ ATA Device" yet on my friends rig with the same HD it says "Samsung HD103UJ SCSI Disk(drive maybe)".

I then checked the BIOS and it says under "SATA Operation mode" it's set to IDE.
    After a quick google it seems like for a SATAII device, it should be set as AHCI? However, when I select this mode in the BIOS, where it was previously shown, it changes to "not detected". Is there a way to change this?

I know something is slowing my PC down as it's not running as fast as it should; especially for loading maps and what not in games. It takes about three times as long as my friend with the same HD and similar rig. If someone knows what to do, it would be much appriechated!

Thank you! :)

2. aaronbraich

aaronbraich What's a Dremel?

Okay so I'm still confused about the Dual channel thing, but i am a massive n00b. however, i found and did this which allowed me to switch form IDE to ACHI without havign to reinstall Windows.

"
    To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2. Click Start, type regedit
    in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
    5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation."

Maybe that will be usefull to someone. :)

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I might be wrong but I think the p55 chipset is only Dual channel .Just had a look at your boards spec's and its Dual channel.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2010
  4. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

the LGA1156 CPUs are only dual-channel so will only work at full speed with even numbers of RAM sticks (not even amounts of RAM), the LGA1366 ones are triple-channel, i.e. multiples of 3.

The RAM not running in dual-channel could be slowing things down from what you expect, remove a stick and see.

Tags: