1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage New HDD installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by louist44, 31 Jul 2011.

1. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

Built my first rig a few months ago and I am looking for another hard drive for extra storage, just wanted to double check on how to install it :hehe:

plug in cables and then in the BIOS set it to AHCI is all I need to do right?

Also what HDD do you guys recommend? is the Samsung F3 spinpoint still the one to go for?

Thanks

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

For storage you might as well go for a more quiet 5400 RPM drive... I don't have any specific recommendations, there's always going to be people dissing some and recommending others, and I don't really even want to go there. Just go for one with long warranty and be happy with it.

And bios most likely is on AHCI already, so just plug the cables and create the partition.

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Have you thought about a USB 3 external drive?

4. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

I've found the Samsung Spinpoints to be good.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Samsung SpinPoint F3 is the faster 7200 RPM HDD.
    And for more quietness, a slight slower speed (I highly doubt you'll see the difference in real life, especially for backup), you have the: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200RPM available in both 16 and 32MB Cache.

Yes makes sure that your SATA controller, in the BIOS is set to AHCI. Some motherboards have their eSATA ports on a separate controller, so you need it set to AHCI. Refer to the motherboard manual for assistance. (as I don't know you motherboard, nor BIOS screen, to tell you what to look for exactly. Usually it's simply identified as "eSATA Controller")

If you have eSATA, or your external enclosure comes with a SATA to eSATA PCI bracket, go for eSATA over USB 2.0. Your HDD is not fast enough to take advantage of SATA 6Gbps, or USB 3.0. USB is very CPU intensive, while eSATA virtually doesn't use the CPU at all, and is data transfer optimized.

louist44 likes this.
  6. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

didnt really think about a USB 3 external. But Id rather have an internal HDD otherwise this will just end up lost/collecting dust.

Thanks all for input :) will probably just pick up whatever is on scans daily deal today @ 5400RPM

new hardware yay!

7. VeNoM JaCKaL

VeNoM JaCKaL L4D2 nom nom time!

If its just for storage extra speed from Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm drive would be for real world scenarios. I currently use Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 64MB (WD10EARS) have 4 of them (spread over two systems) and they all are quite fast, extremely quite, have been reliable and importantly cheap. You can pick one up at around £45.

I use the one to make windows system Image backup using about 800GB of space and others just store games/software/music/pictures on. Cant recommend them enough. I had a Samsung spinpoint f3 before but it was quite loud in comparison with the WD Green drive series.