1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article suggestion: Data backup solutions?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by supermonkey, 30 Jan 2012.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Currently my data backup solution consists of a USB external drive, with the contents manually copied to a NAS (running FreeNAS). I use a spreadsheet to keep track of the number of files, folders, and total folder sizes, but I'm sure there are more elegant - and automated - solutions available.

Has Bit-tech ever considered an article comparing some of the different solutions and/or software packages, or perhaps a guide to the basics of file servers?

Being somewhat new to the whole NAS thing - especially when it comes to a custom-built NAS - I sometimes wonder if I'm really getting the most capability for my effort.

Apologies if this has been done before - I did a 2 second search and didn't really find much other than the occasional announcement of an external drive enclosure.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've done something similar elsewhere - a group test of backup apps - but it was for Linux, so not much help here...

3. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

It's something I would like to see. Wouldn't mind an attempt to build a custom storage solution using a nice mITX system with freeNAS or similar to see how cheap one could build a device and if it's any better than dedicated solutions.

Tags: