1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Voodoo PC founder joins Microsoft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. SoulLance

SoulLance What's a Dremel?

As long as the big announcement isn't some more casual gaming coming our way - KINECT for PC anyone?! -I guess I'll be optimistic about this.

3. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Oh please. So you'll be joining them in backstabbing PC gamers then. Lovely.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

This has to be a good thing since we've had a lot of high profile developers claiming the death of pc gaming for years. Should be good to let him loose on a few of them and see some flamewars kickin' off!

5. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

Hmm, very skeptical of this. Microsoft stole ideas from the PC gaming Areana for its XBOXes. This could be a push for current ideas for its next XBOX. I hope Soods PC gaming advocacy is solid and has not just been bought for console.

6. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Your allegiance in this day and age comes at a price and Microsoft has enough money to make anyone denounce their faith in PC gaming.

Sood has just been bought and in 5 months you will see him in a Kinect commercial, dancing and smiling.

Long live Valve!!

7. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Maybe the next XBOX will allow for GPU and CPU upgrades of certain approved models - by the way I have a patent for this idea so Microsoft can knock on my door if they want to embrace it.

Imagine the above really happening - that would really kill PC gaming

8. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Xbox sucks, that is all.

9. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

PC gaming isn't going any where, I just don't understand why people would be so foolish to believe that PC gaming is dying. All this Foolish talk will be silenced once the next round of "Games that can be only done on a PC are released". The 360 and PS3 have been maxed out. DX11 in it's infant stage destroys anything a console could do.

Gt5 is a perfect example of Polyhony Studios, a console developer who's game was gimped because their idea was too big for the PS3. Consoles are just a cash cow right now, any developer can make a crappy game on the console and make money. You can't do that on the PC cause PC gamers don't buy "shovel ware" therefore only dedicated developers make money on the PC.

Quality sells no matter what but there lies the problem, most developers have too many lame excuses for a lack of quality especially when the PC modding community has made some terrific games or have vastly improved a game with just one or two people programming in their spare time. The only part of PC gaming that I wish would die or needs to die is DX9. We need a global war on DX9 so that developers will be forced to use DX10 and Dx11 and advance the software that currently is 5 years behind the hardware. If you notice that HD 5000 series is very capable of Ray Tracing but we have yet to see any implementation in a commercial game.

10. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

That part about console gamers getting destroyed every time by PC gamers gives me flashbacks of playing Shadowrun on PC versus others playing on an X-Box 360. You could practically run rings around them while they tried to get a bead on you and pop off a few shots. FPS games are probably the least balanced if you were to play PC vs Console and most RTS games are unplayable on a console if you were to go up against someone on a PC. There is just too much you have to do in RTS games to be competitive on a console. If anyone could think of a few more games that actually offered this option, I'd be happy to hear about 'em.

11. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Agree with some of the comments above, having to code for DX9 is a pain, it's also allowing Console to PC ports to continue. Extending support for XP was a terrible decision imo , preceding that though, an even worse decision was not allowing XP DX10, on some spurious grounds.

The modern PC GPU architecture combined with the full DX11 feature set including DX11 multi-threading (parallel creation of resources and display lists by multiple threads) is yet to put to good use , hence all the starved GPU, underutilisation in many of the current games, and players scratching the heads at choppy gameplay even on good rigs. Though Nvidia and Ati are dragging their heals- there aren't even any publicly available drivers that permit this right now.

DX9 never supported simultaneous rendering in the same way that the extended DirectX 9 on xbox360, and the low-level libraries on PS3 can.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2010
  12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

My worry is that Microsoft have "bought" him to keep him under control (and quiet). Divide and conquer and all that.

13. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

HP killed them

14. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

"Sood's outspoken attitude doesn't seem to have stopped Microsoft from hiring him"

I used to find the tone of his column in Custom PC to be very arrogant, opinionated and egotistical. It certainly turned me off any point he was trying to make whether it was valid or not.

15. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Havn't they already said they will release Kinect at some point for the PC?

16. chrisriley

chrisriley What's a Dremel?

Yeah do you remember his columns in Custom PC a few years back? He was a complete bellend!

I think Alex replaced him after he knocked that Greebo on the head who wrote about Hello Kitty bollocks from Japan.

17. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

The PC was here before and will still be here long after the Xbox 360 and PS3 have died. FACT!

18. bagman

bagman Minimodder

well looking back at what sood has said in the past i think it will be clear that if stays it is good news as Microsoft hopefully will take in constructive criticism but if he is fired for shouting at bill gates too much i think Microsoft will kill pc gaming as much as they can and then it is just down to blizzard to save us

i think this move could be very good for us looking at what sood said about January 2011 should be interesting to see if sood will stay a pc gamer or be converted to consoles

Tags: Add Tags