1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AlderonnX's Continuum (Cubitek Magic Cube AIO)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AlderonnX, 10 Jun 2014.

1. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

[​IMG]

Welcome back to an another AlderonnX build log. (First Log on Bit-tech!!)

This PC is called Continuum and the name reflects its gradual evolution to its current form. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(measurement)

What to expect from this build.
    1. No corners cut on quality.
    2. A case that hasn't been featured and or modded much.
    3. A fairly quick build log, I already have most of the parts for the build and its my main PC so I am motivated to get it back up and running.
    4. Aluminum... lots of Aluminum!

I will reveal All the parts and bits later

Parts List...
    Case: Cubitek Magic Cube AIO http://www.cubitek.com/products/magic-cube $229 NCIX
    MoBo: Gigabyte 990FX UD7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508&cm_re=990fx_ud7-_-13-128-508-_-Product $180 -$30 ( I sold the water block I bought with it after awhile.)
    CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edtion http://preview.tinyurl.com/om6ykzn $150 Bought on OCN BNIB
    CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Black: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=megahalems_black-_-35-242-031-_-Product $69.99
    PSU: Evga 1000 G2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438010 traded for it.
    GPU: Tri SLI GTX 680's 2 EVGA models and a Galaxy Franken Card!

First mod... new Feet!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Sep 2014
  2. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Final Pics go here...

3. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

First thing I will reveal is the case... Like I said in the first post its somewhat rare, At least here in the USA as I could only find it at one store. NCIX

[​IMG]

Stock Photo.. eww I have some boxing photos as well. Still learning the new camera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

As I listed in the first post (to comply with forum rules) the first thing I modded was the case feet.

I bought a set of awesome feet from Fannblade for this mod. I went looking for his website didn't find it but I was able to purchase through private message and I couldn't be happier with these case feet. So Solid and the finish is great! Just the change in stance is amazing. Thats the reason I used them in the first post.

First I stripped the case down.
    [​IMG]

Then I took some measurements and found that I could use the stock location for the feet but that the holes would need to be drilled out.
    [​IMG]

Drilled out the holes...
    [​IMG]

Got the case on its new feet...

[​IMG]
    Next stop is the MNPCtech Billet Black Case Handles...

Last edited: 10 Jun 2014
  5. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Awesome man cant wait to see what you do here!

6. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

I like Cubitek cases,they always look half finished tho.
    That modular case they did.....I got obsessed with it.

7. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Yeah it has a couple flaws... not enough screws on the side panels and the PSU fan filter is a joke. But its a solid case and configured the way i needed. I think I doubled the weight of the case with those feet, lol

8. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Ok, about half of a update here.. Got the handles partway mounted and disided to swap out for shorter SS fasteners

Bought a set of Black MNPCtech Billet Aluminum case handles from Performance-PC (MNPCTECH was sold out)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I set them up on the case so I could get a feel where they needed to go.
    [​IMG]
    Then I masked the case of to protect the finish..
    [​IMG]
    The cool part about these handles is they are big enough inside the bolt to mark with a pencil...
    [​IMG]
    I use a center punch and drill a 1/16th hole first then use a 1/4 for the bolt. Keeps the bit from walking around...
    [​IMG]
    I realized the fasteners were to long so I stoped there and went and got some shorter ones.
    [​IMG]

I'll have more updates tomorrow

Cheers, Jeremy

9. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

got the smaller SS bolts in place.

I bought a couple of lengths and some washers but I ended up liking it with just the acorn nuts and the shortest bolts.
    [​IMG]
    Old bolt and nut
    [​IMG]\
    New ones..
    [​IMG]
    From the under side... Before
    [​IMG]
    And after..
    [​IMG]
    All mounted up..
    [​IMG]

More updates in a bit. Also I added the mother board to the first post... I know AMD blah blah... lol. I really like this board and it should hold me over until DDR4 is affordable...

10. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

OK, I thought it might be good to show the case I'm coming from. Its a Haf 922 Blue edtion that I painted and sleeved the front cables a couple years ago. The top fan is slowly dieing now and its not the right setup for my desk. So here in all its glory..
    [​IMG] Yep its a dust monster!

I'm not going to bore you guys with pictures of the tear down, But here are some shots of my motherboard...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After this shot I took a dry tooth brush to the dust.
    [​IMG]
    I might as well tell everyone at this point its a 8350 CPU not the 9570 or whatever the new overpriced one that came out was...
    [​IMG]
    Also its time to show off the CPU Cooler I have chosen for this build. I blame Airdeano for showing a link to this cooler as its what first drew me to it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Closeup of the heatpipes..
    [​IMG]
    Just sat it on the board and checked my ram clearances. All good!
    [​IMG]
    Time to mount this beast... Removed the stock am3 clips (i had a h80i on there) I did leave the amd backplate as instructed.
    [​IMG]
    Ran into a worrying snag. That metal bracket is a bit to close for comfort to that little "thingy" (somebody else may know what it is) on the board.
    [​IMG]
    It was about the thickness of a thumbnail away from it so I attacked the bracket with a file and then covered the filing with black marker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All mounted up snug and awesome!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More to come!

11. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

Ey i need a mobo for am3+ an this one looks good what mobo is it?

Verstuurd van mijn GT-S7500 met Tapatalk

12. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

13. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Put in a order at Lutro0's for some more connectors. To do this right I will need to remake nearly all the power wires. I already have some of Lutro0's new sleeving that I will dig out and share after a bit. Feel free to make fun of this crude paint drawing of my basic wiring plans.
    [​IMG]

These are the sleeving colors I went with.
    http://lutro0-customs.com/products/lc-teleios-sleeving-black-25ft
    http://lutro0-customs.com/products/lc-teleios-sleeving-dark-gray-25ft
    http://lutro0-customs.com/products/lc-teleios-sleeving-white-25ft

I will also be crafting some blocks or something to hold all these wires neat and orderly behind the motherboard tray as well.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2014
  14. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Last update of the day...

Got the motherboard mounted in the case... I do think it looks awesome!
    [​IMG]
    Reusing the ram i already had.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Like a glove. 16gb of DDR3 2133 Gskills
    [​IMG]
    This case has plenty of room even for a Eatx board.
    [​IMG]
    Next lets add power... Alot of power. Roughly double the watts I think I might need because why not right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Install the plate on back...
    [​IMG]
    Man this looks good... Almost a shame a custom mid plate is going to cover it... opps thats a cat out of the bag.
    [​IMG]
    Next its time to mount some drives. this case has a really cool way to keep your hard drives out of site.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net...894_518473601614240_8131165848931666953_n.jpg
    See hard drives hanging out in hiding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now the real fun part starts...
    [​IMG]

I'll be starting on the sleeving tomorrow. Cheers Jeremy

Also which fan you think might look better?
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RESFR2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    or
    http://smile.amazon.com/Prolimatech...F8&qid=1402799455&sr=1-5&keywords=prolimatech

Last edited: 15 Jun 2014
  15. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

thx for the reply !

16. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

17. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

OK, so I ordered the wrong set of fans... But I did get a chance to see them in person and the clips I ordered will work great! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I went ahead and set the SP120 (non pwm) in place to see how it looks
    [​IMG]
    I installed my poster board mockup peices as well...
    [​IMG]
    I also tested the new power supply and everything worked well. (sorry for the fuzzy picture)
    [​IMG]

So I am waiting for the terminals to come in from Lutro0 and I can begin sleeving and I am in the works on the fan grills and midplates..

Thanks, Jeremy

18. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Woot... terminals on the way! Sleeving to commence soon.

[​IMG]

19. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Ok, After a short delay my terminals and supplies arrived. Lutro0 Customs is busy with orders but they kept me up to speed and I have plenty of terminals now. These look like little missiles
    [​IMG]
    I dove right in on the 8 pin EPS cable since all the fans and stuff in that corner of the case can't go in until the 8 pin is in place. I HATE the split 4+4 connectors! With my big hands its all I can do to slide them in place and hold them together at the same time...
    [​IMG]
    I cut the factory sleeve off..
    [​IMG]
    And found this lovely little cap... Evga needs to get with the OEM (Superflower?) and get the caps on the inside lol.
    I figured out a way to keep the cap and have the cable still look good thou... I will show that in a minute.
    Here is my very first try at shrinkless with the Lutro0 Teleios sleeving. it works really well even with cheap heatsink.
    [​IMG]
    Looking good! I'm going with white and grey and black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now as to what I did with that Cap...
    [​IMG]
    Took some really then shrink and marked the wire on both ends..
    [​IMG]
    Then I unpined both the wires and swapped ends with them. Now the cap will be hidden under the midplate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    End result...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So now I have the wire hooked in and running wild. time to tame the tangle
    [​IMG]
    I bought a couple packets of these cool clips on Amazon
    [​IMG]
    The only problem is the sticky tape on the back is not real strong. Also they aren't flat enough on the back. So a little time with a file...
    [​IMG]
    And cleaned it off and installed some tape of the neighbor of the gods. (grey instead of clear)
    [​IMG]
    Looks great!
    [​IMG]
    The tape makes these pretty strong. I pulled the whole case over with my finger in the clips hole. Its STUCK!
    Now this looks better. I will add more clips as I get the rest of the wires in place
    [​IMG]
    With the 8 pin in place I was able to install some of the fans and it looks awesome!
    [​IMG]
    I am making a custom Y cable for the 4 pin fans on the Maghalems so the wires can go right out the back and tuck into the MEGA CLIP...
    [​IMG]
    Thats where I stopped. I'll finish the fans tonight and start on the 24 pin. (i hear more caps are in my future)
    Cheers, Jeremy

20. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

Ok, time for a update. I worked about 72 hours last week and then had to spend a whole day working on my truck... Yay fords! Anyhow I did get a bit more progress in...
    Spent a hour building a 4 pin PWM Y cable and at the end the wires were to thick and I ended up scrapping the thing and buying a silverstone..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once I got that mess sorted I was able to install the rest of the fans and tucked the Y cable into its home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Love these fans![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also got the USB 3.0 and the Front panel connectors back in the case. The come from the factory in a slick black finish. But the ODD wires showing on the ends won't do at all..
    [​IMG]
    I have some heavy shrink perfect for this...
    [​IMG]
    I like to bend them wile the shrink is still warm so they are aimed down instead of straight out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I took some better (I hope ) shots of the case from the front... I love the look so far!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I'm working on the Aluminum plate that covers the 24 pin and gpu wires. Also the Aluminum dress up plate that covers the holes in the back of the case (dang grommets)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thick stuff!
    [​IMG]
    More filing later (ok some grinding as well)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The big plate will be painted black and the cover on the rear of the case will be polished. More work to come!
    Cheers, AlderonnX