1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress D'Sa Scratch Build Sanvexor - COMPLETED ***

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sanjaya, 4 Nov 2013.

1. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Hi guys . I started a custom scratch build recently. and here goes the build log. Stick with me to see how I did it. and let me know what you think

[​IMG]

Initial Designs to final build. Let's go

Last edited: 16 Jul 2014
  2. Primum Agmen

Primum Agmen What's a Dremel?

Suitably intrigued.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ooooo! Post fast!:D

4. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

How it all started

Now let me take you through all the problems I faces and success I had in this build.

1st of all I'm 20 years old and I'm doing my degree in business management. This is my 1st build/mod. I'm From Sri Lanka and I stay in Malaysia

Time Frame two months, September 1st - November 1st (Before new semester start)
    Time was the biggest hurdle for me.

Let's go with the story of this nice Casing
    I bought this new system few months back and i got a casing for about $50. Was wondering what I can do to look my new system better.and some of my friends were showing off their cases and I was wondering whether I should spend a lot of money for a common casing or should I make a one for myself. came a design to my mind and drew it on a paper ( I'm an artist and also I can do 3D modeling). Then made a 3D Model of it. to see how it looks

Here goes it:
    [​IMG]

Then I went back to my parents place in south of Malaysia. There here I start my work with e great help from my dad.

What i did 1st was buy some styrofoam and carve the design in it according to real life measurements Made sure I left enough space for mobo and PSU, and cooling. then length to width ratio and drew it on styrofoam with a pen/pencil.then start sanding to get the curves and

[​IMG]

Lot of sanding with sandpapers. to cut the styrofoam I made heating coil using a old soldering iron coil. Had to do it for a long time as I couldn't find thick pieces Had to make parts separately and join it later.

******Continued****** :dremel:

5. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Sponsors

Ok today i like to tell you about what happened with sponsors. Ok first off when I was at this stage of the build I sent emails to so many companies. the only company responded positively was EKWB, They promised to give me a CPU block. So i was doing my project expecting a block from them. But when I was reaching the end of the project I knew my budget is very limited by that time. Since I'm still student and don't earn I can't ask more money from my parents. So what I had to do was to turn down the sponsorship. But I'm really grateful for them for helping me. Because if I were to get the block then I would have to buy the rest of the parts by myself and I didn't have enough money for it.

As my good friend Alfred Shuryan said, when ever a pearson is sending sponsorship request emails, you have to be short and sweet. You have to include some nice pics and attractive and professional words. so it's a tip to all of the readers.

I think since this is my first try and first build, it must be hard for companies to decide whether it's just another fake project or not.

So all of you who try for sponsors. good luck !

Here goes a big thanks to,
    [​IMG]

6. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Got Sponsors

Hello guys after a long break m coming back with some great news. I met some nice people from COOLER MASTER today and they agreed to sponsor my build. I'll soon come back to you guys with the awesome stuff from CM and the res of my build

7. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

COOLER MASTER Sponsorship

First let talk about sponsors, I currently have Sponsorship from Cooler Master
    The promise to help my build with some awesome components that they produce.
    I will soon do a review on the product as soon as I get my hands on them

Asus Also agreed to partially sponsor me but still waiting for their confirmation. and my build log will start updating frequently after I get the components.

SO stay awake for my updates soon and also my youtube vid series

Sponsored by:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Assembling the styrofoam

Ok Modders m back with some new pics of modding of the build. and today its all about the foam model of the case. :dremel:

[​IMG]

So as we discussed before once I finished the side panels i concentrated on front n top covers. making these parts were very hard because I had to see through the shapes and sizes to match with the design. after some more long hours of sleepless nights finally most of the parts completed

[​IMG]

Had to frequently check the regularity n equality in shape of the two side panels and also had to make sure the case is symmetrical. few hours of more correcting was put on to this to make sure the final shape was good.

[​IMG]

Had few problems in making the top cover since the curve was to big i had to join two pieces together and as in the above pic i used pins to keep them together till they joined, but to tell the truth it didn't work. so i had to make the mold with the pins still there and then carefully remove them. :sigh:

So that's it for today everyone, I'll come up with latest updates again soon.

A Big thanks go for the sponsors for helping me with this build

[​IMG]

till next time everyone :clap: :dremel:

9. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Seidon 240M Review (Sponsored by CM)

Hi guys, on this post today I'm going to do a simple review on the sponsor material I got from Coolermaster for my build, the Seidon 240M Liquid cooler and the GX II 750W PSU. I promise to keep it simple at the same time giving you all the information you need.

[​IMG]

CM 240M Liquid cooler is very good cooling solution for Gamers and mid-range Over-Clockers. Though it’s not the latest model of liquid cooler by CM (which is Nepton) and it doesn’t look fancy like a custom water cooling loop either, it’s more than enough to keep a properly overclocked system at high stress levels. This product is comparatively very cheap, where a custom water cooling system would cost more than two or three times of that this would cost. Also the main advantage in a closed loop is that you don’t have many maintenance issues, you don’t have to clean the loop frequently or be worried of leaks. This solution is perfect for builds like mine where all the internal parts are closed so I won’t miss fancy water cooling system, but adding it to an open system will not look bad at all.

Ok now talking about the components and features let me go point wise so it’s easy to read
    • Maintenance-free – for me most important because you don’t have to waste a half a day to clean my cooling solution, might be same for you. As I've mentioned before it comes pre-filled and closed loop, but there is a connector in case you want to remove the liquid.
    • A new efficient design for better over-clocking performance. From cold plate and pump to radiator and fans everything is optimized for better cooling and lesser noise.
    • The pump has a very durable n less noise design – 70 000 hours life expectancy and less that 25 dBA which is basically cannot be heard.
      [​IMG]
    • Durable and Flexible tubing - This system comes with a very durable and flexible tubing, you can twist it turn it it won't break. Also the tube ends have been connected in a way that you can turn it almost 180 for different positions of setups and the tubing is long enough for nay setup you like.
    • Ultrafine micro channels – which is as in the picture bellow very fine fin on the cold block to maximize surface area therefore increasing the heat transfer.
      [​IMG]
    • Large Aluminum Radiator – Everyone would prefer it to be copper, but the prices would be different then, but the denser fin design can make up for some of that missing copper.
    • PWM capable 4-pin Blade Master Fans (120CM) – these fans are pressure optimized to create and maintain enough pressure between radiator and fans. PWM fans gives control over the fan speed therefore reducing noise during low temperatures and increasing fan life
    • Universal Mounting solution – supports LGA 2011/1150/1366/1155/1156/775 and AMD FM2/FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2.
    • Capable of push/pull/push-pull setups - A wide range of screw sets is included in the package.
    • Very silent cooling capability - less than 40 dBA, but this can vary according to your setup and fan grills.
    • Bow shaped Contact surface for best contact with the chip – It is proven that the slightly bow shaped blocks make the best contact with the processor. In the traditional flat face blocks the center of the block makes less contact with the processor reducing heat transfer.
    • Copper CPU block - As anyone would expect the cold block (CPU Block) is pure cooper build and has a very smooth surface for optimum contact.
      [​IMG]
    Apart from the above all the cables comes with a nice tight black wire sleeving.

Some people say why Cooler Master named this 240CM a “M” (medium) and the 120 CM one “XL” (extra Large), it’s because the radiator in this one is thinner than the one on 120XL, but it’s not a reason to think that the 120XL is cheaper and better, because the fin density in this radiator is higher than in the rad of the 120XL in fact it's higher than many other 240CM radiators, so still this radiator maintains that double cooling capabilities than the 120XL and also outperforms many other 240CM radiators.

The contents of the Package are as follows.
    [​IMG]

The cooling solution itself
    2x Blade Master 120CM PWM fans
    1x rubber seal for noise reduction
    1x Fan Splitter (4-pin)
    1x AMD Mounting Bracket set
    1x Intel Mounting Bracket set
    1x Back Mounting Plate
    1x Cooler Master thermal compound
    Screws for all kinds of possible setups

So that’s the basic review of the cooling solution. Soon I will update this with the cooling scores of the system.
    Thank you very much for referring to my review.

A big Thanks goes to Cooler Master Malaysia for sponsoring my Build
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Sneak Peek :D

What do you think?
    [​IMG]

11. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

CM GX II 750W PSU

Hi guys today is the second review of my PSU I got from Cooler Master for their sponsorship. Guess what, it’s a famous GX II, one of the most famous gaming power supplies in the market. This is one of the most reliable and cost effective power supplies in the market so far. Yes there are bigger and better power supplies, but for a mid-range budget build this PSU is the perfect solution.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• It’s a single rail 12V non modular PSU. Yes would prefer it to be modular but something to keep in mind is that it is comparatively very cheap.
    • 5 Year Warranty – Cooler Master guarantees that their product will be functional for 5 years and it’s more than the time that you would use your computer. Unlike other PSUs this one has 5 years of coverage where most of the other PSUs give only 3 years coverage.
    • USB charger – this is one of the top features I like in this PSU, this is a socket to connect your front USB panel through to the motherboard, the GX II provides continuous 5V power to the front panel even when the system is not running.
      [​IMG]
    • Support Dual SLI- the GX II 750 W PSU comes with 4x 6+2 pin connectors, meaning that it can power up two high end graphics cards.
    • The new 2nd Generation of GX II have a very silent fan and good cooling for long hours of operations.
    • Built-in protection systems for stable, smooth and dependable supply like, OVP/ UVP/ OPP/ OTP/ SCP/ OCP.

Here are the Specifications of the PSU
    [​IMG]

The Power Distribution is as follows
    [​IMG]

The connectors available are,
    1x 20+4Pin Motherboard Connector
    1x 4+4Pin CPU +12V Connector
    4x 6+2 Pin PCI-e Connector
    9x SATA Connector
    3x 4Pin Peripheral Connector
    1x 4Pin Floppy Connector
    1x USB Charger Cable

Though I wonder why they put up a Floppy Connector, it’s very good that it has 9 SATA Connectors.
    [​IMG]

The regulations this PSU comply with are a lot and you can see them on the side of the box of the PSU.
    [​IMG]

Maintenance and Dependability
    Talking about dependability I have been using GX first series PSU on my old system for a long time now and used the system for long periods of time and had no problem at all with a PSU.
    I have been using the new GX II for about 2 months now with my i7 Haswell overclocked at 4.5Ghz and been using the system for Rendering and Gaming for long hour. Sometime system has been up more than weeks without any problem.

Overall this PSU is a great pick for performance/price and one of the top level PSU’s available for midrange systems. This PSU has a very good Warranty coverage and is very dependable for long hours of gaming.
    Test results will follow up soon.

Please visit CoolerMaster for their official specifications and detail list
    A big thank goes to Cooler Master Malaysia for sponsoring my Build
    Thank You Very Much
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Making the cement mould and finishing the surface.
    because i used masking tape there was lot of wrinkles. so had to fill it with cement and made it smooth
    [​IMG]

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Cement? -Like concrete? It looks like that's what you are using, so maybe not a translation error.

Awesome.:D

14. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

yes concrete. but not with sand or anything. just cement mixed with water, but i put some fiberglass in the big moulds to make it stronger.

First i tried to use the styrofoam models to make moulds using fiber and resin, but even though i used masking tape they melted , so only available alternative was cement. but after building the case i had to throw away the moulds coz i came back to my country

15. kingpraun

kingpraun What's a Dremel?

Going to watch.
    Post more !! :D

16. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Waxing and Fiber

Hello guys, so once i finished smoothing out the surface, i started applying few layers of release wax on it to release the fibre.

Here is the black fatty me applying wax :) sorry m 20 years old, though i look like I am 35 :)
    [​IMG]

After 3 layers of wax this is the mould ready to make the fiver side panels
    [​IMG]

I will finish this thread by April 7th, so keep on reading. I will update every day :)

Sponsored by Cooler Master
    Thanks a lot for your help on finishing my build :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Those moulds look great! Really interesting idea to use cement, judging by the finished result they must have worked a treat. Bet they weigh a tonne too.

18. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

ya they weigh a lot, but one person can lift even the side panel mould. but remember i didn't put too much cement to make it strong. i used fibre glass, pieces from the messy fibre, to make the mould strong.

but the PC weigh a tonn. It got 3 layers of fibre and lot of thick aluminium. almost bullet proof :D
    and it is very big. over 80 CM in length and 60+ in height. can fit even few 480 rads :D. sadly got none :\

19. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

You were so close :wallbash: you need to cover the styrofoam in body filler or some people use clay and that will protect the styrofoam from melting then you can fibreglass on the filler /clay, I have worked with fibreglass in the boat building industry and I have seen some big moulds made from concrete but never seen it used on a small scale like you have done :cooldude:

I know you have made the moulds now but you may find this video helpful.

20. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Y umbra thanks. many people told me that i should have it. But I think it would have still metled the thing, coz most of this guys use the more denser styrofoam where i used the one that small bubbles come off from it. But thanks a lot anyway.

LOL After that i thought to myself never to build fiber casing. unless carbon fiber, lot of downsides. My next build is a Transformers decepticon build happening this august. still in the design phase. m thinking of using Aluminium for that. Fibre is too heavy