1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU i5 Stupid Overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Alfred, 23 Apr 2012.

1. The Alfred

The Alfred What's a Dremel?

Hi

I went a bit over the top with my 2500k O/C today, and was wondering if this voltage could do any damage to the CPU?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2342341

I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 to cool it's sweaty little bonce, but this chip seems to be holding up quite well!

Thanks

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

LOLwank. Nice overclock. 1.68v? I thought I was pushing it at 1.52 but I use offset voltage so it doesn't stay high. +0.175 in bios.

I guess u could do with LN2. U wouldn't wanna keep it at that voltage long. I guess u didn't do a cpu burn test did u?

3. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Voltage is sky high, course it will shorten it's life

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

that is an awful lot of volts for a sandybatch, considering a lot of them can get to 5ghz on just 1.4v! what temps are you getting under load?

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

It won't have increased its life expectancy I'm sure.

From what I've seen I'm pretty sure around 1.4-1.45 for everyday is border line. I went to 1.6v for a quick bench run on a 2600k but actually managed my highest clock at 5.3Ghz @ 1.5 something volt.

I don't think there is any way for sure to know if its been damaged in any way, generally thing its something down to the more you hammer away the more likely it will curl over on you.

Take it is still running ok now? This is aimed at a quick shot at top clocks, rather then a 24/7 OC?

6. The Alfred

It's running fine, I've been running Prime for an hour and nothing went smurfy, so I can only assume it'll continue. I just wasn't sure if it would slowly damage it or just make it keel over. Something tells me this isn't where I'm going to stop though...

7. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

I'd be too scared to put a 2500k under any kind of load at that voltage! Unless of course I had money to throw away. Which I don't.

8. The Alfred

I don't have the money either. I just tried a 54x and a 101 base clock and I think I pissed off the O/C gods. I've gone back to 5.3 but the volts are down now. Hopefully there won't be a puddle of silicon in the bottom of my case any time soon! I may have to look into that replacement plan Intel has.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I remember there was a guy like you who appeared over on the EVGA forum 3 years ago. He was pushing 1.7v through his cpu and 2 volts through his motherboard chipset. He said "it's fine, no problems, been running this for weeks now". Then he disappeared. Came back a few months later and said his mobo and CPU had died.

Is it you? Are you back with a new system?

:)

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I was looking forward to a more tragic ending. You know, burned his house down or something.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

No but you just reminded me of someone I know online who opened the door to his computer room and found it filled with smoke. Had been a leak of crappy Feser UV coolant that caused a fire and the entire PC was destroyed. Are Feser still making coolant?

12. Shirty

More importantly, why do I still laugh out loud whenever I recall the time I was trying to be "cool" with a young female relative and referred to Fazer from N-Dubz as Feser in a text message?

I am a 30 year old geek who hates N-Dubz. :geek:

13. rollo

rollo Modder

1.68 is a bit nuts for any long term survive like 2-3 weeks and the mobo will just fry itself and your chip

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ndubz are a good case for enforced sterillisation.

Shirty likes this.
  15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Thats pretty awesome and scary to say the least. I can't hit 4.5ghz on my i5 though it did it once before. Oh well.

16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

That is indeed crazy, however am I the only one who'd be trying anything to get that last little 0.1MHz to push it over the 5300 barrier? :lol:

17. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

I was considering a mild OC with my new build, just for a little more oomf. Perhaps when I'm due an upgrade and will be scrapping the PC I might try something like this, until then my stance is: You're nuts. Have fun!

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

1.68V is huge. When I was benching mine 1.536V was my voltage for 5.3GHz, I would've thought you could manage 5.3 with a max of 1.6V.

19. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

20. Shirty

Tasty chip! Did you do that under the Frio?