1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical unveils Ubuntu for Tablets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I thought a tablet was coming first in terms of development.

The phone images narrow the amount of developers able to physically test there apps, but the tablet images for the Nexus 7 and 10 widens the field as most people jumped to grab a Nexus 7.

3. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

Does this run from within Android or have they got some sort of hack which allows you to fully replace the android OS?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a complete replacement OS, flashed as a ROM image - same as Ubuntu for Phones. There is something called Ubuntu for Android, which runs on top of Google's mobile OS, but that appears to have been abandoned in favour of Ubuntu for Phones.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Side stage, does Surface not support Snap? Either way, it looks good. I've liked Ubuntu on the PC as well, but my issues have always been that it doesn't support the games I play, and I break it way too easily while having no clue how to fix it.
    If this takes off, more programs will become available for Ubuntu hopefully increasing it's appeal.

6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

So its a complete replacement for android. But is it a full Ubuntu install? Or is it some kind of cut down version for tablets? I kind of like the idea of a little keyboard with my nexus 7 and ubuntu on it. But only if i had full control over it. Not wanting some cut down version. Wonder how other desktop environments would react to touch?

7. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Tomorrow Canonical will be releasing the first images, so let's wait to see how it behaves on Nexus 7.

8. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Are there any plans to release x86 images for Windows based tablets?

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Here's a link to Ubuntus tablet page -> http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet

The mockup they show on their page actually looks quiet nice with those wide speaker-grills on either side of the screen and I also like that they placed the front-facing camera on the long side. It's more natural imho and I'd like my iPad3 to have it there aswell, as I only use it in fixed landscape-mode.

The pictures don't show any ports tho, but I'd very much like to see it have a SD-card slot. That's what's missing in most smartphones and tablets. Is there actually any tablet with SD-card slot out there?

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually, that's a Nexus 10. :) Ubuntu does not make its own hardware.

The Microsoft Surface has an SD card slot.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2013
  11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Funny thing that the Surface has one. 64GB microSDHC cards aren't that expensive actually :)

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Think is I already have the desktop version on my tablet o_O

13. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Well you have to say, its consistent! unlike WIndows 8. I dont think I will ever learn what the top, bottom, left and right edges do in Win 8 in all the different apps, desktop, metro.....

Well done Ubuntu

14. impar

impar Minimodder

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually, it's exactly the same. The edge swipes are just distributed differently. Same context sensitivity; same functions.

Like the look though --a sort of cross between Metro and WebOS. Very polished.