1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Mid range ~£60 headphone advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nutyy, 24 Aug 2012.

1. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

So after getting having my first pair of Corsair HS1A headphones successfully RMA'd the replacement is now breaking in exactly the same way as the first one - audio dead in one ear / both ears / working fine depending on the position on the cable :sigh:. Scan no longer list the HSA1's on their website so hopefully if the RMA is successful they might offer another headset of a similar price, or a discount on a more expensive one - unsure on the details of RMA'ing an item that is no longer in stock.:confused:

Anyway I was looking for a new pair of headphones for about £60 however this price is flexible higher or lower depending on the performance jump that spending a little bit more would provide. Need headphones and a mic, not bothered about having a clip on mic as long as it works. Headphone quality doesn't have to be amazing but I'd like a quality clear mic for when I'm playing games with friends. Not too bothered about outstanding bass either, Had a look at the ASUS Vulcan ANC but I'd rather avoid the awful ROG branding.:grr:

I also don't have a sound card but if I am investing in a quality pair of headphones I'll probably get an Asus Xonar DG too so not really interested in USB headphones.

Cheers, Nutyy

Last edited: 27 Aug 2012
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

closed or open preference?

3. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Preferably closed.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've got a Corsair Vengeance 1300, which is a cracking bit of kit, B-T did a review of them.

Very comfy, good mic and sound quality, but the overall volume could do with been a teeny bit louder.

Nutyy likes this.
  5. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

I had a look at it and I would be interested in this as it's an improvement on the HSA1 and will hopefully not have the same faulty build quality. Still got an eye out for others but the 1300 is top of my list now.

6. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Stay away from the steelseries, really really poor quality

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Its probably motherboard mate, maybe get a Xonar DG with the headphone amp?

8. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

try the Corsair Gaming Audio Series HS1A Gaming Headset cheap and good quality only thing is as mankz said they could do with been a bit louder i also have them plugged into a Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card & Headphone Amplifier but doesn't seem to make a diffrence

9. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I have this headset coupled with a Creative Core 3d soundcard and the sound quality and volume is excellent.

10. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

I mentioned in the first post that this was my second corsair HS1A after getting a free replacement for the first one that broke via RMA. Both have lasted 3-4 months and I've not been recklessly throwing them around in a massive rage quit. The actual headset is great for the price - ~£30 - though but the fact that this is the second time they've broke has put me off them - unless of course I can get a third replacement for free.:rock:

Holding out on buying something just yet till Scan get back to me on the RMA.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Get some Seinheisers and a clip on Mic.

I have the HD428 set, their successors (HD429) are about £60 on Scan, might be cheaper shopping around.

Sent from my phone...

12. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Was actually looking at the Sennheiser HD range this morning, how comfy is the HD428? Also what clip on Mic would you recommend?

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I find the HD428's very comfortable and not too heavy. Plus the audio range output from them is fantastic, especially when connected to a Xonar DX. The only downside that I can think of is that the cable is a little short if your PC is under your desk. I have to use an extension.

I purchased this microphone, does the job fine: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-037-SL.

I use it for Mumble/Teamspeak.