1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BSOD on Windows 8 Install

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by talladega, 24 Feb 2013.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I'm trying to upgrade my PC to Windows 8 Pro as I bought an upgrade key.
    I had downloaded the ISO through the upgrade program and made a bootable USB with it using Microsoft's tool.

So I booted of the usb stick and went through the windows install setup and after the first restart it just BSODs everytime.
    The error code is 0x000021a

I tried redoing the usb stick to see if that works but it didn't make a difference.
    I have previously installed windows 8 on my netbook just to test out and it worked fine on that.

Looking up this error code it doesn't appear to be a hardware or driver problem.
    Right now I'm redownloading the ISO incase that messed it up.

Has anyone ran into this problem or can help out?

Thanks

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Are you trying to keep your current applications?

If so according to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

An incompatible third-party program has been installed, which means one of your current applications is incompatible with Windows 8, if you google for compatibility with them you should be able to find the Application that is causing this.

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I'm doing this as a clean install.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it does sound like a media issue, but you should also make sure non essential items are unplugged from usb whilst doing the install

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

So I redownloaded the ISO and redid my flash drive. I installed Win8 and again on the first reboot it BSODs. I let it do that 2 more times then it somehow got into windows.

So now I'm running Windows 8 and it seems to be working fine. I installed this on another SSD so until I get it all running how I want I wont format my other drive. Plus I have backups anyways, but it appears to be working now.

Weird....

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

RichCreedy did say a important thing - really, unplug everything from USB except your keyboard and mouse. For example my DVB-T USB stick makes Windows 8 BSOD every time it scans for channels. Other USB devices could make Windows 8 crash right during the install.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I had nothing else plugged in during install. :/