1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Razer BlackShark review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I have to say I hate inline controllers as I have my settings within arms reach so the idea of a headset that I can use with both my PC and my iPhone actually sounds very enticing.

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

And the best part is you can run around the streets when using it with your iPhone pretending to be a helicopter pilot :D

4. Lance

I was thinking around the flat flying my lego helicopter....

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The lack of an integrated USB soundcard might even be a relief: this is Razer. Do you really want to have to connect to the internet to use the volume control on your headset?

6. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I have the Razer Carcharis (or something). Picked it because it doesn't use leather cups. Hate them. If they were to fail, I don't think these would be the replacement. They look a little silly.

7. Muerlin

Muerlin What's a Dremel?

2 parts of the review I liked:
    Build Quality
    Subjective Sound Quality

The responsiveness of the bass seems to be muddy from what I gathered out of the review. Were they tested with a decent amp to see if that cleared anything?

8. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I have to wonder why bit-tech do not critique Razer's new DRM more. I guess they don't want to get daddy angry and cut off their stream of free review samples? Honestly I think the DRM is damn near a deal-breaker for almost any gamer and if I were responsible it would take a full 50% off the score.

Also: screw gaming headsets. Go buy yourself a pair of $100-200 studio monitors and enjoy audio far, far beyond what any "performance gear" can offer. This is just blingy, cheap crap for kids.

9. Lance

Part of the reason I have gone for a "gaming" headset is because of the price point, a £40 headset with a decent mic in it that I can use for 8-10 hours without getting uncomfortable is very important for me. I appreciate that the sound isn't that great, and I like that they let in lots of outside noise, so I can still be spoken to while wearing them.

However I do think that these gaming headsets are evolving past their realistic price point now, as part of the allure was that they were cheap enough that they can be taken to a LAN without fear.

10. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if I'd call the bass muddy as such, it's more the mid-range that gets a little mushy (technical lingo I know) because of the bass overpowering it. Higher quality sound card tests didn't seem to change this much.

We haven't looked at a product from Razer in over 18 months and as this headset is not a USB device it couldn't care less whether it's connected to an online device or not.

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I have eagerly been awaiting these, since I fell in love with the looks the instant I laid my eyes on them.
    They look amazing!
    BUT, the price is too damn high! /meme.
    I wouldn't be able to justify the price, when I have a perfectly functioning steelseries siberia headset, but with a missing mic.
    So I bought a Corsair Vengeance 1100 headset and I must say that they are exceptional! Especially for the price.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't see what advantage the fancy mic has over a plastic affair and my thinking is a lot of the cost is to pay for it.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I'm buying two!

14. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

This. Had the same for 3-4 years now and they are top notch. Can be worn for hours and hours without discomfort and very good sound quality for the 50 quid I got them for..

15. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Do Razer still use the cloud system to save your gaming preferences for supported mice and keyboards, that's why they required internet access.

It seems a pretty stupid idea when Logitech do the same thing by storing the info using onboard mouse/k/board memory so take your mouse/k/board to a LAN and you have your settings and game profiles, simple :hip:

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@ShinyAli, yes they do and its the one reason why i didn't buy a Razer mouse recently, Good job this headset does not require that to.

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I like Razer's piece of software. It just merged the software for my Keyboard and mouse into one. And has an auto-updater for the firmware. Why have two different pieces of software for macros and key bindings when you can have one?

18. Pot Of Jam

Pot Of Jam What's a Dremel?

I have these headphones for about 5 months and I love everything about them.

I brought a small volume control lead that I plug in to my M17x to adjust the volume, and have set up a mute button on my razor BWU to mute the mic... not hard to figure out really. Granted it is annoying but just look at them... if you dont make machine gun noises while wearing them then your having fun wrong.

19. Lance

I have to say I'm very tempted. But why does the trim have to be lime green? White trim and I would have bought them already.

Tags: Add Tags