1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning How hard is it to get sponsored??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NoobNeb, 24 Nov 2011.

1. NoobNeb

NoobNeb Enthusiastic Lurker

So I have some plans for modding and I caught the water cooling bug :rock: but I'm low on funds :duh:
    Is getting sponsorship just a case of contacting a manufacturer or a retailer and outlining your plans for a mod and asking for parts??
    Does your mod have to be amazing to attract their attention??
    Most of the amazing project logs on here are sponsored but then there are some great ones that aren't :blah:

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Most people get sponsored because of contests or good connections. Then there's a few that get sponsored because of the great project they've done before.

Having a blog with a good amount of followers helps too, as sponsors want many people to see their hardware ofc.

You can allways try to contact manufacturers presenting your ideas tho and hoping that they'll get attracted and bite.

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

4. NoobNeb

Ya I read that my first day on the forums, I would never do that though I'd tell them that I would be posting a project log on bit tech but I wouldn't fabricate some tale of bit tech backing :eeek:
    I guess I'll plan my mod some more and it'll probably end up being an Ivybridge build :naughty:

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Good luck. And a very well planned project is the key to a good build.

That only involves me and my way being, but I'd rather wait and save money, or do with what I have rather than beging for some free hardware. If some manufacturers want to help me by sponsoring me, then I'm fine with it and would be truly honoured. But I'll never ask myself.

I make my designs for my own pleasure, not to get a free upgrade. But again, that's my way of thinking and it only involves me. I will truly be happy for you if you can get sponsored :thumb:

6. JamieElston

JamieElston What's a Dremel?

Im also looking at finding some sponsorship.

My plan is to start my project this weekend and start to build a good following on a variety of forums...mainly bit-tech of course.

Like the previous post stated it is a good idea to get lots of people viewing and watching your project in progress.

The items I want sponsorship for I will leave towards the mid-end of the project and im hoping that with enough following I will have a good case to offer the potential sponsor. So my advice, which may be wrong, is do as much as you can and as much as your own wallet will let you,...get a follwing,...then go for the sponsorship.

7. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

And if you are only at you first project it's hard to get the sponsors to notice you.

Don't ask big. Ask for small things for your first or second or so.. project and when you got a nice portfolio and get like more that 30K views in here then then I guess the chances would be better.

With CAGE I tried getting sponsors but failed. It was my first case and I was a nobody. Well now I got a few small things and do my best to make the most of what I got.

First get a big name and some nice builds behind you before you expect companies to sponsor you with big stuff like full watercooling, and hardware.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Sponsorship/endorsement isn't always "free stuff" like it's perceived to be - it's a business relationship, like Bindi says, and involves a lot of work on your part promoting these brands and doing free advertising for them.

9. GuilleAcoustic

True ... sponsorshipt is a form of advertisement. But I see to many people just asking to upgrade for "free". I have no problem with people asking for sponsors if it is done with good intentions, but people are often greedy (same reason pushed me to stop MMORPG ... gimme gold, stuff !!).

No offense intended, but I just think it is not-decent to ask for hardware when it is your first build, having nothing to show. I see many extremely talented people here building amazing cases around very modest hardware. This is not the hardware that makes your case design shine.

10. Razer2007

But that's the fun part! Working with them!

11. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

I'd go with the principle of Build It And They Will Come as expecting stuff from the beginning is a bit cheeky IMHO.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It can be fun, but it's still hard work.

My point was mainly for the OP - the reason of "free stuff" or "limited money" is not a good one to have if you want to get sponsorship. As Bindi says, prospective sponsors will slam the door in your face if that's what they think you want.

OP's question:

No, no, no. Sponsorship is showing that you are dedicated to what you are doing and that you want to promote a brand even without getting free parts (which might come in the future).

I had an endorsement in the past with a cymbal company (I was a professional drummer in my younger years) and I got NOWT in the way of free stuff, but I could say that I was "endorsed by TRX" which was a nice assurance for people who hired me, and nice advertising for the cymbal company.

13. NoobNeb

Okay GuilleAcoustic has a point I am being kind of greedy I'll try work with what I have and mod for the purpose of making what I have look and perform better instead of just trying to get free stuff

I should have remembered that modding is all about making cool mods :rock:

GuilleAcoustic and Razer2007 like this.
  14. Razer2007

There you. You set the example. I follow. +rep

15. GuilleAcoustic

Completly agree. +rep too

16. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

I was spending 40-50k a year on modding before I ever got my first sponsor

17. GuilleAcoustic

jeez, that's a lot of money. I'll take a good look at your blog. Sponsors comes at the price of our sweat and scars :D

18. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Low on funs and wanting a personal upgrade isn’t really what sponsorship is about TBH.

The guy above me has had more sponsorship than you can shake a stick at (just google DarthBeavis) but i guarantee all those builds wouldn’t have been for his personal use and probably all used for promotional purposes one way or another or sold off for charity.

I’d say, get a couple of decent mods under your belt and then go knocking on doors with the beginning of a portfolio, listing all forum project logs but keep in mind that sponsorship is all about raising product awareness and not really about parts for personal gain.

19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This is very true..you need to get your name out there first..If you think about it, how many begging letters must all the big manufacturers receive in the space of a week.

20. Razer2007