1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Video Stutter when CPU not stressed!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Blogins, 1 May 2014.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Any help appreciated on this one!

Working on an MSI 790GX-G65 with a Phenom II x2 550BE that I've unlocked to a Phenom II x4 B50. Everything works fine with the exception of HD video that stutters even when using VLC Media Player. The unusual thing is that when the CPU is stressed with Prime95 playing the HD video at the same time it's smooth with absolutely no stutter. I've turned off power saving features in the BIOS but just can't nail the problem and don't really want to run Prime95 just to watch a HD video!

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you check the power management settings in windows, particularly the Minimum Processor Sate.
    Power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > processor power management > minimum processor sate.

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

What OS?

4. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

strange one ... Would make sure you have no parked cores

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

6. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Really doubt this has anything to do with core and if they are parked or not. As he said, the CPU is not under stress and you don't need many cores for HD video.

I did have some stutter playing BF3 on 680GTX and eventually solved it by increasing allowed power to the card through MSI Afterburner. Apparently there is a fault of some kind in the Nvidia profile since 309 or some such. You could try raising the power output to the card. Set it back to default if it doesn't work. Same with Core Parking and pretty much anything you try. Windows Vista and up handle core allocation just fine.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Almost! :thumb:

Had to 'optimise' video playback in the Mutimedia settings tab.

Completely ridiculous though. Installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 and it defaults to not playback video at optimal settings!?! Just don't get the idea of power saving when the extra performance would benefit the experience of using Windows. Why it defaults to this setting is beyond me given the hardware I installed the OS to... Quad Core, 8GB Memory and a 5770 Video Card.