1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern GPU folding

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 4 Sep 2013.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hey guys, not been around much recently, one of my 32-thread EP Xeons rigs I have re-used for something else at the moment so much lower than normal on my PPD front.

Anyway reason for thread - I have been using a pair of heavily overclocked Radeon 7950's for BTC mining but as the BTC difficulty has gone nuts there's not a lot of gain using these GPU's for mining any more so was going to switch them over to FAH or sell them on.

I haven't done any GPU folding for a good 1.5 years, and certainly not with the V7 client, can anyone give me a quick run down about what flags etc I need to use to get the best out these GPU's?

I am not holding massive hopes they will be any good as ATI/AMD GPU's were never very good at folding as I always used Nvidia cards when I last folded on GPUs but I'm sorta hoping things have improved a bit these days! :)

Cheers fellas :thumb:

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

You can GPU Fold easily under both Win and Linux now with v7 (Yep, even under Linux without WINE(!) - as long as you use the beta flag).
    The flag set up is slightly different, but you effectively want the parameters 'client-type' and 'beta' - this will show you how pictorially;
    overclock.net thread

3. coolamasta

Cheers Doc, thats great news with Linux as well, will have to put these 7950's in my dual EP-Xeon Rig I think once I get a beefier PSU :)

I was totally shocked when I done a test last night, I added the client-type beta and each card was doing circa 90,000 PPD :jawdrop: that 180,000 for the pair, damnnn GPU's have come a long way since I last used them!! :eeek:

Next payday a 1000w + PSU will be on the cards I think to run the Xeons and these 2 7950's under Linux, Win Win situation for once running both under Linux :D :D

4. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

mine litecoins ;)

5. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi.
    I'm not trying to be contravertial but it seems to me that mining Bitcoins is just such a waste of a computers resources, when there are so many other fantastic distributed computer projects that the power of ordinary PC's can be used on. Even smartphones probably have more computing power than the computers that sent man to the moon, and we think nothing of it nowdays. If you can fold on your two AMD cards and get 180,000 PPD go for it and put the cards to a good use. :clap::thumb: Cheers.
    Pete

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

With the release of Core 17 for GPU's, it makes much better use of modern GPU architectural. I think we're at one of those periods in Folding history where the performance switch changes - this time from CPU being best (unless its 24+ core) back to GPU.

7. coolamasta

These days it is yes, GPU's were making good money in the Bitcoin world until all the dedicated ASIC miners came out and difficulty levels went really high, it was worth it for a while on the money returns but now its got silly :(

I was generating Bitcoin to help pay for more hardware for Folding and other such projects but I have only been doing it for around 3 months and only just managed to make enough to pay for one of the 7950's! Hence thinking about packing it in tbh as its going to take me another 3 months+ to pay for the other card but I know difficulty will keep rising so that will become 4 months+ :( I'm going to keep mining until I finish the next coin off in a few weeks then stop I think...

Very true mate, I remember the GPU to CPU switch when bigadv's took over, at one stage I had 6 x GTX260's, 2 x 8800GT's and 3 x 9800GX2's all folding away and damnnnn did they push out some heat and consume some power lol

Last edited: 5 Sep 2013