1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One price cut to £399.99, with free copy of Titanfall

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Feb 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

£30 and an average FPS

wow that's ****ing generous.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

First price cut of many one thinks.

Such a early price cut for a console though.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

actually got one here - tbh its not actually that bad , kinnect is plugged in but pointed at the wall , so no foul there , only downside is no sky go (missus watches it) and DLNA doesn't exist - yet.

games do look nice compared to the 360

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Have to say, this is earlier than expected - three months after launch is pretty early to be cutting the price, is it not?

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Wouldn't even want it for free, but cutting prices this early on clearly shows that I'm not the only one totally uninterested in this One.

7. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

No DLNA = no purchase for either of the new consoles......I am not really one of the early adopters anyway, first units I always feel they are released whilst they still iron out production kinks and firmware bugs...but both have promised DNLA in future updates.

If I were an early adopter, no DNLA would mean they would need to drop the price by another £70, so I could buy one and then buy a WD LIVE box or similar for my DLNA needs.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's very early to be cutting prices, and bundling Titanfall (their great hope for selling machines, but also a potential source of profit at £50 per copy) is smacking of desperation. I'd love to see their sales numbers...

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not that we will ever get official numbers, but "Industry figures suggest that the PlayStation 4 is outselling the Xbox One by around two to one, with 5.3 million of Sony's machines being sold worldwide."

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I wonder how genuine any 'sales figures' really are. People, especially on tech sites, frequently mention how 'sales figures' of an OS are often misleading due to the number that are sold to OEMs and such like that rather than actual sales to the end user. I would imagine that when it comes to consoles, Sony has much stronger ties for commercial and promotional purposes as they seem to have been a sponsor for almost anything and everything ever since the first Playstation came out. So I wonder how many of these sales are promotional sales to other companies to be used as competition prizes, etc, as the PS4 seems to be offered as a prize for far more competitions. So I also wonder just how many of those sales will remain tucked up in a warehouse for the now as the promotional companies most likely arranged a lower price for bulk buys. Not that I am saying this is the case, but it could be a factor.

As for not wanting one even for free... Well feel free to send it my way.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If someone decides to give me one for free, you've just made the top of the list to get it ;)

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Wether they are selling to retail or not I'm not so sure, but the general feeling is the ps4 is ahead on sales. Don't personally care either way own niether and will still own niether unless some game comes out that I want to play.

If anything once the ps4 launches in japan the gap will widen as its a strong market for Sony in general. Wether Titanfall will make a lot of dif is questionable , it has pretty mixed reviews and will get a joint pc launch. You can already aquire just the game for under £30.

In tech only Apple gives its sales numbers of products and even they don't break it down by version.

Microsofts own fault really they have not given the gamers what they wanted so they have left. They should not of forced Kinnect onto people. That and lack of tv features outside of USA makes it a difficult seller. I'd imagine its USA sales are strong with the rest of the world pretty poor.

13. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

14. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I'm not surprised. Although all the media has reviewed both consoles as being pretty equal, it feels like they've just done it to not get blacklisted by MS/MS fans. The people I've seen with PS4s have been pretty pleased and impressed, I've also been impressed. The XBOX One has been pretty much disappointing everyone that I know that has bought it.

Titanfall I found great apart from the titans. I loved the vertical freedom over other FPS, but the titans just felt slow and underpowered.

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Rollo, Kinect is included in the box, but you are not forced to use it, you don' t even need to plug it in.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

rollo - tv features work fine - its wifi connected , and didn't know about Kinect so that`ll be unplugged as well....

we have one , and its not bad at all.

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I await further cuts and the shrink of both machine and sensor, Titanfall is a decent pack in though.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:idea: £400 & a new game that allows for at least £20 cash back is a much better improvement, if you don't want kinnect you could get at least £40 cash back again making it at most £340, that's not bad at all really.

I went the OEM replacement brand new console route, 3rd party 220w PSU, play & charge pad kit, 4k capable HDMI cable for £290 so £50 difference is good IMHO & the £20 game cash back is a bare minimum & the £40 for kinnect is a bare minimum also so this new XBone pack could be a very sweet deal complete with standard warranty.

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

But that includes the launch period and Christmas rush sales, if MS are making price cuts this rapidly, post Christmas must have tanked completely.

20. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

The entire Xbox setup looks and feels like an afterthought. The PS4 on the other hand looks well polished and is quite a bit cheaper.

I've played on and had a good grope with both. The difference in quality and workmanship between the two machines is quite staggering. Xbox looks and feels like a hastily thrown together HTPC where as the PS4 looks and feels like a high end piece of Hi-Fi equipment.

Another thing to note is Playstation network vs Xbone Live, Sony offer free titles for a measly £40 a year where as Xbox is double that and perceivable offers very little.

Don't even get me started on user serviceability and upgrades...

I've always been an Xbox man, all of my friends have always had Xboxes, my late teens where dominated by Xbox system links and 48 hour Halo sessions...and yet I'd defiantly buy a PS4.

The Xbox looks like a pile of ****.

Tags: Add Tags