1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Best music headset/headphone/bundle for <120£

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Captain Awesome, 27 Mar 2011.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome What's a Dremel?

Okey, so the title says pretty much. I need a headset or some headphones for mostly music but also some gaming. My budget is on, as i said, about 120£. But it is preferable to not spend it all if the price/quality curve isn't so rewarding at that point, for example i would buy the Corsair HS1 (60£) for its great price/quality if i were going to use this for gaming, because it gives so much bang for the buck.

So far these have been recommended to me:
    Corsair HS1
    Creative Sound Blaster Arena (HS-1100??)

So did you understand what i need or were i just babbling for 6 lines?
    What would you recommend for a great music experience?

Thanks in advance to all who might reply my, and thanks to Marvin-HHGTTG and Ph4ZeD who replied my questions in the headset for <80£ thread.

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Audio Technica AD700>Sennhesier HD555>JVC HA-RX700 (depending on how much you feel like spending + cheap desktop/clip-on mic + Asus Xonar DG if you need a a basic sound card which will work well with headphones.

The Sony MDR-V6 are also a good headphone option if durability is important to you, they sound great too!

Absolutely do not buy a gaming headset, terrible bang for buck all around. I've posted this again and again, and people who have taken my advice come away happy realizing that they haven't been fooled by marketing!

Last edited: 27 Mar 2011
  3. Captain Awesome

If i shall buy the AD700 or the JVC RX700 i will have to import them. And the Sennheiser HD 555 costs about 130£

Is it too much to ask for any more reccomendations? The Sennheiser HD 518, is that bad? Or the AKG 518?

You sure every gaming headset is bad when it comes to music? Even the Logitech G35?

4. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

If you have a desktop PC I'd look more at a desktop mic and proper audio headphones

5. docodine

I wouldn't say bad, you'll just get a far better value by buying real headphones. The G35 specifically are awful though.

How about the Creative Aurvana Live?

Also, where are you seeing that price on the HD555? Seems high.

6. Captain Awesome

7. docodine

8. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD600 for £150 and have not looked back, totally awesome for music, films and games.

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

my advice visit whathifi.co.uk go to the best buy tab. Pick one from the list and find a store where you can test then in the flesh. Audio is a lot about personal preference. All of the ones in the list are great but some people like more bass some like exact reproduction ect.

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

For that budget I'd say you should be looking at "easy to drive" headphones that won't require a headphone amp to sound their best.

Do you have a decent sound card already? If not that needs to be factored in too.

As for what headphones you eventually go for, it depends what kind of music you listen to and what sort of sound you are after. Most of the big brands have a fairly well defined sonic signature.

11. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

After giving him a hand in the other thread, the main Norwegian hardware/audio shops are:
    Komplett
    Netshop
    DustinHome

The ranges are pretty limited, lacking some of Sennheiser's better value ranges for instance, and missing out on Goldring completely. There isn't a great deal of choice besides Koss, Steelseries, Corsair and a more limited range of Senns.

Oh, and he doesn't have a sound card.

12. Strudul

Strudul ~

Sharkoon x-tatic

13. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

None of those shops do Sharkoon stuff.

14. Captain Awesome

Well. I'm going to stop by some of the norwegian resellers who specialize in hi-fi, to see what they would reccomend.
    You can check them out if you want:
    http://www.hifiklubben.no/
    http://www.soundgarden.no/

If i don't fint anything i like there either, i'll go for the Shure SRH440's

btw, i just found this on Creatives webshop

For all EU countries, other than Norway & Switzerland, if the total shipping weight of your order is 2kg or less:
    Mode UK Customers Non-UK Customers
    Creative Saver £ 5.00 € 5.00
    Standard Shipping £ 7.00 € 7.00

For all EU countries, other than Norway & Switzerland, if the total shipping weight of your order is more than 2kg:
    Mode UK Customers Non-UK Customers
    Creative Saver £ 9.00 € 12.00
    Standard Shipping £ 12.00 € 15.00

For Norway & Switzerland:
    Mode Charges
    Creative Saver € 12.00
    Standard Shipping € 15.00

Racism!!???

Nah, i'm kidding. It's beacuse we are not a part of the EU.

But that means that for 80£ i can get the Creative Aurvana Live, are they really good?

PS: i have a very wide music taste, ranging from Hip-hop to R&B to rock to a bit pop. The only thing i play little is techno, hard rock, heavy metal and classic

15. docodine

The Creative Aurvana Live has powerful bass and is more fun to listen to music with, the SRH440 is more for studio use, more of a detailed sound. The Creative is also more portable if you would want to take it out and about.. Going out to try stuff at stores is a great idea though, pick one and then save up for a sound card like this one:

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=608554

:thumb:

16. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Ouch, Norway really gets clobbered by not being an EU country... just looking at delivery charges on Thomann.de (awesome place for headphones). It's €20.00 + customs duty, compared to the €10 we have to pay here in the UK.

edit: Oh and I also recommend a sound card. If you're getting some decent headphones you'll see a huge difference between most onboard sound chips and even the cheapest Asus dedicated card.

17. superego

superego What's a Dremel?

I cannot remember what his soundcard is, but my friend has the Razer Carcharias - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-007-RA&groupid=702&catid=1058&subcat=1719 - and music sounds awesome as well as gaming sound. I'll eventually buy a set myself, along with an Asus Xonar DX - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-002-AS&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

Both pieces of kit scored well in Custom PC and are on the recommended lists. Check out some reviews and see what you think. It's always good to be able to listen to them as well if possible.

18. Captain Awesome

So, i went by hi-fi klubben today and their selection was prett lowsy too. They only had a couple of Denon headphones, but they were wayyyy to light for me.

I think testing out which headset is best for me won't work, because of the pretty lousy range. I saw the Sennheiser HD 555's but they cost about 155£ so i didn't buy them.

My best bet is probably to find some at www.netshop.no, as they have the best selection.

All though you have given me very many great advice already, it would really be a great deal of help if you went trough some of the pages on the headphone tabs on www.netshop.no to see if there is something good there.

http://www.netshop.no/Avdelinger/Datautstyr/Headset/PC-Høyttalere.aspx

Again, only if you have the time for it.

19. docodine

I still say go with the SRH440 or the Creative.

I found the SRH440 uncomfortable, but my head is huge (most headphones have to be opened up all the way, I can't even wear certain brands). Sounded nice though, and most reviewers say they're comfy.

20. Captain Awesome

Ok, so i went with the SRH440's and the Asus Xonar D1, which came in at about 130£ They were shipped yesterday, and will hopefully arrive soon.

Again, thanks for all the help. It's very appreciated