1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam launches Big Picture mode

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 4 Dec 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"Hardware solutions being developed include things to make Steam and PC games easier to control away from a mouse and keyboard setup"

If this becomes popular the major publishers will give even less of a s**t about keyboard-and-mouse gamers and we'll see consolification on a level that makes the current swathe of piss-poor console ports look like PC-exclusive titles.

I see what they're trying to do...but I don't like where we're going to end up....

3. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Has anyone else looked at the sale and wondered why some of the games on sale are 'Controller Friendly'?

For instance, Train Simulator 2013. Not really a controller game.

I know there were some point and clicks in there too.

4. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

I've tried L4D2 using a controller....

never again.

5. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

steam is making something in the next 3-5 years a patch for steam and makes everygame bleed into ur living room and the start of true VR! well i can dream cant i?

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Quick everyone! Let's jump to insane conclusions!

7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

It's not like it is really hard to support a mouse and keyboard, most games work well with the keyboard and mouse so it won't really be an issue imo.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Considering this is a Steam exclusive optional feature it seems doubtful that developers will change their games to any great degree with it in mind. Aka, works great for current cross platform games but is far from causing some sort of console apocalypse. Porting a game with little to no KB/M support expecting PC players to use a controller is too risky a move for most.
    Just means it's compatible with a controller, not that you'll necessarily want to use one. Expect things like a cursor moved by a joystick with a "left click" button and a few main keys bound to the remaining controller buttons.

9. Measter

Measter What's a Dremel?

I tried it last night, and it's very nicely done. The Steam overlay is also changed so you can control it with a joypad.

You can take over with the mouse at any time just by moving it, too. All the labels telling you which button to press to do stuff instantly change to buttons you can click on.

10. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I had a quick look last night and i was impressed, shame i never really use a controller :(

11. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Now if they can make this also place movies and TV ala XBMC this could be onto a winnner

Tags: Add Tags