1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Steam 'console' revealed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 8 Jan 2013.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Story here

"It Begins: Valve And Xi3 Team For ‘Piston’ Steam Box"

Engadget article here

CNet

Official Xi3 site

No specs confirmed at present, but what we do know is.

Quad Core
    Has a 40W power envelope
    Fully modular - allowing you to upgrade.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Not a fan of the looks, but will be keeping an eye on it regardless.

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Looks fugly to me. Could see it being a modders favorite though.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Looks ok to me, but it's what it can do that will interest me, or not.

5. Parge

I personally can't really see the market unless its super cheap.

Those that use steam regularly can probably build their own systems, or if not, can buy from one of the many companies out there that can.

Everyone else is going to be a console gamer, and thus tied to either Playstation or Xbox and their exclusives etc.

I'm also surprised that Steam haven't designed and produced the hardware themselves instead of outsourcing it. In fairness, that isn't really their 'market', but I wouldn't be surprised to see them do it in the future (like Apple who now design their own ARM SoCs)

6. xpronic

xpronic What's a Dremel?

With this, Project Shield and Ouya, 2013 is looking very interesting for casual gaming. I'll be picking the cheapest one and using it as a portable htpc/mini gaming system lol.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I assume that's not the final production case for the one they'll be making for Valve.

8. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I can imagine proprietary connectors for graphics cards. I.E. no modular upgrade unless you buy one with a valve connector...

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Was hoping for something flat and sleek, a la a DVD/Blu-Ray player.

Gabe I am disappoint...

10. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

looks good to me. the move away from blu-ray and dvd into streaming and downloads means it doesn't have to look like a flat rectangle. I quite like the cube form factor, plus at that size you can tuck it away so you don't have to see it! Just a question of what it can do now.

11. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

It may be 'modular' but I imagine there will be some use of proprietary connectors on the motherboard, forcing you to by special parts from valve and their partners rather than being able to shove a 3570k in there for example.

12. Parge

I would say it would be, Xi3 use the same chassis for all their products

I would say you'd be correct, given the form factor and internal layout

So was I, would have made it much easier to place in peoples TV cabinets which usually have long and thin shelves.

I'd say you would be correct, especially given the current power envelope and the fact that the cooling has to keep up with whatever parts you buy.

Also, it will allow them to make money from upgrades (ie: if you upgrade to a GPU that costs £80 in the shops, they might charge £100 for the steambox version)

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I actually like it, not in the purple but the flat black. Hopefully they'll dump the chrome end plates for a nice gloss black.

As for upgrades, I doubt it'll ever be an issue as long as it's capable of the next gen of source engine.

everything done by valve with the current source engine runs fine on hardware as old as the 8800GTX and earlier. That's the beauty of the source engine, which makes it no different that a console really. Spec the under pinnings of the hardware and game engine and release to dev's.

Hopefully it'll see better driver support as well to really milk the hardware for all that's it worth

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I wanted something reminiscent of the portal designs.

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I hope it'll have a fair bit of grunt as it'll need to run games other than just Valve's, it'll need to run all those available on Steam.

I quite like it, but it doesn't need so many of the ports on it. Just a power port, hdmi, optical audio out, GigE nic and a couple of usb ports would do. I presume there'll be space inside for one or two standard 2.5" HDD/SSDs.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013
  16. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I'm guessing the form factors largely so they can just use a single 80/120mm fan?

17. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Looks like it's APU powered. It's going to have to be outrageously cheap for anyone to want to buy a box that only runs a few source games or indie titles and does nothing else. Then again, the microconsole market seems to have emerged from nowhere, so perhaps that's what Valve is aiming for.

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I think you may be overestimating the size of the thing. It's absolutely tiny, unless that guy has massive inhuman hands...

You may be able to add drives in that way (depends on the OS, really) but I imagine that's what all the ports are for.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I like the aesthetics of it.

This device could be great for linux users, that is if they maintain compatibility across this device's operating system and a mainstream distribution.

On the other hand this device could also add to the further stagnation of the development of PC gaming graphics since clearly its not going to have super high end graphics capabilities (not least because it would be too expensive) If this steam box takes off it could set the upper limit of how elaborate graphics can be for a pc game.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Just been giving this some more thought.

Valve need test bench hardware that is console sized without the ball ache of developing a platform from the ground up, and without the huge cost of such development. (just think how much sony and microsoft must have dumped into hardware development)

So the little Xi3 is exactly that. Now think about the steam on Linux project, very small kernel on a SSD with "Big picture mode" as the UI. That makes for a very small install footprint before you add games. The drop in SSD's price's could see such a platform with 512Gb of SSD sweetness. Or teh kernel and steam are installed on flash memory on the board, with SSD expansion. (similar to the Xbox 360)

My only fear is the AMD APU. AMD/ATI have been hugely painful since the dawn of time with Linux support being a joke.

I would like to think this is the first stepping stone..