1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Warcraft expansion sells 2.7 million in first week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 5 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

The fact that there is still at least 2.7 million people willing to pay for the privilige of owning the title in question definitely makes me a sad panda.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

The fact it still has 10mil subs after all this time is a great achievement for any game, dout any paid mmo will ever see this level of users again.

4. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

pokemon online would easily get more than 10m subs.....

5. suragh

suragh Derp

No way! I hardly doubt that could compete with WoW. The offline versions of the pokemon franchise would certainly if you base it off how many have purchased perhaps.

EDIT: Is pokemon online subscription based? :eek:

Last edited: 5 Oct 2012
  6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I C WHAT U DID THAR.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I think Blizz's biggest problem is people like me who sunk hours into WoW years ago simply don't have time (or money) to keep playing. New gamers don't really get anything going over old content alone while everyone works towards high end and raid. Finding the balance and adding relevant new content is getting harder and tbh less attrictive to level 5-10 levels just do beat the drum with the same old stick. yes I loved WoW to bits but as a part time at best gamer I just feel that the end content enjoyment is out of reach for me.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you havent played for a while have you?

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I'm impressed by the numbers to be honest i wouldnt expect it to have sold that many especially with GW2 doing so well.

It wont be dying any time soon thats for sure, wont be growing either though.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

At 10mil subs it does not need to grow, since its release its maintained itself as the biggest mmo by playerbase out there, Can say id never go back to it personally as i got bored of the genre, Level up to cap farm dung farm raids repeat on new content gets old.

guild wars 2 despite been free to play has bearly got 1/4th of the players is kinda mad. Pretty good game from what ive played so far ( level 37 )

Still waiting for the next big release in this market, Maybe Titan will provide what i am after. ( Hardcore game as wow was in vinalla and tbc, you must beat prev content to progress onwards)

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

chinese numbers arnt in yet either - and this really is a strong chinese exp pak

12. Dunc01

Dunc01 What's a Dremel?

The expansion includes a very fun Pokemon style game aswell

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

The 1-60 is one of the best bits of the game now :)

Sad to see a few people on this forum who still look down on WoW players, we get enough of that from our IRL freinds ;) Been playing the expansion a bit, not had too much time for it but its been pretty good so far :)

14. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Shocked they didn't release this to coincide with a kung fu panda film.

15. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Most fun I've had levelling in a long while, I was sceptical of MOP when I heard about pandas and pokebattles but it really is pretty well polished. Good fun if not very challenging so far, just taking my time with it though.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Kinda the same as

"drug dealer jailed for selling crack cocaine for up to 2700 addicts"

17. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Impressive to see the sales figures on suchs CRAPPY & total EPIC FAIL game!

18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Not since January this year. Rolled 2 new characters and got one of my old ones to 85. After a month decided I can't be arsed with this anymore. Polishing up an old bike doesn't make it new. Either way I didn't have the time to get my characters to 85, or even gear up the one I had just to come home from uni and sit until all hours of the morning trying another raid. Final month I gave up quests and just leveled in instances (if you could ever get into them). Ive always enjoyed instances more and the difficulty made it feel exciting but honestly, nothing is really attracting me back to this especially when ive 20 games on steam still to play and once theyre done I refuse to pay £18 to get 2months play time on a game. It is horrible value really, when a game feels more like work or you have to play it or it goes to waste its no longer worth it. Yes they do a great job in servers and updates but financing isn't my department. I cannot afford to or even have the time to play as much is required to justify the price.

19. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Never played a subscription based game. Crazy they still attract so many people to play this game. Fair play to blizzard.

20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

It really is a good game - people have bad experiences or hear them and go all unholy bat **** mental on it. It does, like any game of its genre must, have a lot of repetitive elements- but the social element is still unmatched in gaming and the hard mode raiding formats (and the challenge dungeons) are incredibly challenging, especially the first time round.

The problem wow does have is the old contingent finds new changes very easy to deal with, and the long experience they have had with the game make it much harder to deal with. Take starcraft 2 for example. The expansion will be more of the same, different story, some new characters, but essentially the same thing/idea but more scenarios. This isn't a game even sc2 fans will play the campaigns on over and over, they probably haven't single playered in a long time, so the expansion feels much fresher. With wow however you do the same things to quest fresh as you do to quest old (admittedly they could come up with more new ways to earn xp), making it feel much more like more of the same.

In the end, wow is a great game, and ill still play for many years to come I am sure (in some capacity). Ill say again what I said before, "Sad to see a few people on this forum who still look down on WoW players, we get enough of that from our IRL friends". It is imo not anybodies place to tell them what they should and shouldn't enjoy :)

Tags: Add Tags