1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ballmer speaks of phone platform regrets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Sep 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

He is right they focused to much on windows XP and Vista for pc and turned them both into bloated and overworked operating systems. If they had just pushed 30% of the work that went into Vista to Windows Mobile 5/6 they could have ended up with a well supported and usable mobile OS instead of a complicated, under developed and unsupported platform.

Also a few less people trying to make Vista an innovative OS might have improved the OS in the end.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You would think a company as big as Microsoft could have split the work force fairly easily, it must take a lot of people to develop a OS.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

What a load of old crock!

Here's what he should have said.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2013
  5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I would go as far as saying that not only wouldn't he let any of these guys work well together, he actively pitted them against each other through the stacked ranking system, so they all fought to be top dog while sabotaging each other.

Windows Phone 7 and 8 happened despite Ballmer.

6. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Its a shame because as a former ios and android user i REALLY LIKE (insert thumb up here) WP8. some nice features and well thought out in the main. It is still a fledgling by some accounts but i think if it were pushed sooner they may well have a significantly larger market share.

7. Nexxo

I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920 myself. I think it is utter cheesecake. It's functionality is so beautifully thought out; it is so elegant and clean. Live tiles are crazy powerful.

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I love WP8, there are still lots of stupid flaws but they will be ironed out in the coming months hopefully!

9. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I have an original WP7 (LG Optmus 7) and have loved the platform since. Despite running on a single core the interface still runs more smoothly and is more fun to use then any current competing mobile interface.
    That being said I won't be getting a WP8 phone next because of the many empty promises Microsoft has failed to deliver on in the last 3 years and just generally the platform progressing much too slowly with little to no support from the various MS divisions.

Besides live tiles and the slick interface there is little reason to choose a Windows Phone unfortunately.

10. longweight

Live tiles are a nice touch, there are far better reasons for choosing a WP8 device.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have an android phone my daughter has a win 8 phone, I get on with both to be honest.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

What promises in particular have MS failed to deliver on in respect of Windows Phone? And how would you like them to progress more rapidly?

13. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I actually think they have progressed WP at a better rate than iOS in recent years. It's only really iOS7 that has seen major changes when WP saw steady progress from 7 to 7.5 to 7.8 to 8, the changes were significant and welcomed. I'm not claiming superiority here, just stating it has made progress which you would notice if you had been there from the beginning of WP.

14. longweight

The Amber update has a couple of really nice features :)

15. Nexxo

With Terry Meyerson being in charge of all Microsoft OS, things can only get better. He had the balls to bury that atrocity that is Windows Mobile once and for all, and start from scratch with WP7, which was a genius bit of GUI design. WP8 was another major improvement. He is in the best position to create unity between the different platforms and drive innovation. WP8 with a touch of RT would be awesome.

16. longweight

Have you updated your 920 Nexxo?

17. Nexxo

It was already on Amber when I bought it from eBay. :D

18. longweight

Oh nice! I absolutely love the gesture feature.

Do you browse the forum in IE or do you use the Tapatalk app?

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wasn't the early 2000's mentioned in the article around the time Vista was under development ? According to the wiki Windows Mobile's share of the market grew from its inception up to %47 in 2007 and then it started to tank, the same time Vista was release.

20. Nexxo

I just use IE. I like to keep things simple. :)