1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other BT Infinity, worth upgrading to?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Podge4, 9 Jan 2014.

1. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

We have the BT Unlimited Broadband with Up to 16Mb download speeds but we get no way near that, BT say its because we're about as far away from the telephone exchange as you can get.

I did a check with the phone number last night and now we can finally get it. Generally when i dl a file or update its between 400-550kbps.

The two packages they offer is the "Up to 38Mb & 76Mb download speed",

Has anyone here got either of these two packages, would they recommend it?

2. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Infinity user here. 38Mb package, downloads at about 4MB/s, which is sweet for getting updates when you're itching to play on Steam. Picked the BT package as they offered free installation (something the independents couldn't match, sadly).

Not noticed any throttling, but I'm a fairly light user. In all honesty it's a little bit more than I need, but if you want speed, infinity delivers.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm on the 78Mb package, and sync at 76Mb down and 19Mb up. Translates to just under 9MB a second. No throttling that I've noticed, but the router is heavily locked down and irreplaceable thanks to the inbuilt VDSL modem.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2014
  4. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Top package here (72Mb/20Mb), Home Hub 5 (which is storming to be fair), ludicrous speed on downloads, no lag in BF4/Pay Day/Hawx etc etc, pings are low, streaming is perfect (Netflix).

I fear I may have to get fibre again when I move, going back down to anything slower will suck :)

edit: used to get 3Mb on my ADSL...

5. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Oh rlly?

I do concede that they would be on the expensive side.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

We're on TalkTalk Fibre, which is basically the same thing. Before we could only get 2.5Mb on their ADSL, now we get 38Mb constantly, all day every day. Was a no brainer for us really, only cost us an extra £5 a month, and we then got the Youview box too.

Not had any problems with it at all, included wireless routers done the job so far, the UI isn't as clear as the Netgear I had previously but I've just about figured it out, :D.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Exactly. Also, I've not heard of anyone successfully running a third-party VDSL modem on BT Infinity - although I'll admit I haven't looked very hard.

8. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Is this a new thing? I've got a separate modem box plus the HH3, which is easy to replace with any PPPoE router, not that I've seen any reason to do so.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Yup: the Home Hub 5 is the first to include an integrated VDSL modem and so to do away with the separate Openreach white box.

10. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I have a HH5 and the white OR box.....
    o_O

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm on Plusnet's 80/20 fibre package, with a white OR box and an Asus router. Steam d/l updates at 8.6MB/s last night. Well worth it.

12. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Yes! I used to be on a 6Mbps/600Kbps ADSL line and then we upgraded to fibre and I now sit on anything between 48 and 54Mbps down and 13Mbps up. :)

I'm quite a way away from the exchange and my town, Ringwood, isn't exactly the largest. It may very well be one of the largest towns of oldies, though. :D

13. Gareth Halfacree

Some people have - mostly due to confusion on the engineer's part: the instructions for the HH5 still say that Option 2 needs the separate VDSL modem, but it's not the case. If your engineer had his or her wits about them, they would have just installed the Home Hub 5 without the separate modem (which BT phased out 'cos of its tendency to overheat and the annoyance of needing two mains sockets. Or 'cos it has an NSA back-door in it, whichever story you want to believe.)

14. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

You want to speak to me then, I've been through the majority of them :p

Draytek Vigor 2750N - Better than default kit. Average.
    FritzBox 7390 - Looks crappy but is an amazing pice of kit and can give you nice detz on the equipment in the exchange.

I've heard from a friend that the Billion FTTC router dose a good job too.

I'm back to using the OR modem (unlocked of course) and a Fortigate 200B.
    I did have stats logging but I needed to delete the Linux VM to make room.
    Plan is to get the graphs going again on a spare Rasp Pi :)

15. Votick

And back on topic yes it's fab.

80/20 plan on TalkTalk here.
    Cabient is about 300 meters away.

54Mbps down 12Mbps up

But with some tweaking on the OR modem and using shorter cables (10cm Sheilded RJ11) I'm up to 60Mbps down 15Mbps up.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Ah, nice to know it's possible - cheers! Mind you, at £200 for the FritzBox I reckon I'll be sticking with the HH5 for a while yet - even if I have had to farm DHCP off elsewhere so I can use different DNS servers, and disable the wireless in favour of my old router 'cos my connection kept dropping...

17. Votick

Indeed it is very expensive.
    The Draytek was a good £120 aswell. - Seem'd to max out at 40mbps. Max Sync I could get was 49Mbps. Looking into it it shares the same firmware as it's Voip System router which reserves some bandwidth. Also they provided a shoddy RJ11 once switched it went up to 45Mbps.

And yes. I have seperate hardware for that stuff aswell.
    DHCP - Server 2012 Essentials, Wireless - Apple Airport Extreme & Express (I had these left over, Extreme covers half the house and also acts as a gbps switch for my lab, voip phone and Mac Mini, Express covers the other side of the house and provides Airplay.) I would say these arn't the greatest wireless units but with most of the house wired it's only there for phones and tablets and with 2.4ghz & 5ghz it pushes full signal around the house so not bad.
    (I am planing to swap them out with some ZyXEL AP' or Meraki's at some point)

On the Unlocked BT modem front. There is some beta firmware which improves the line speed of long distance lines. It didn't make much diffrence on mine but for someone with a cabinet 900+ meters away it should give a noticable increase in speed.
    Also usual stuff of disabling TR09 (I think) and QoS will give a 2-5mbps speed increase.

So... thanks..

18. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

The main thing to bear in mind is BT Ininity is only FTTC (fibre to the cabinet). The last run to your house would be over copper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Infinity

This would mean lower speeds than you've been quoted, especially as you said you are "as far from the exchange as you can get".

Not saying that it wouldn't be an improvement to what you've already got though :)

EDIT:

Also VDSL suffers a lot from attenuation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_speed_digital_subscriber_line_2#United_Kingdom

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've found the choice of router is more down to the wireless signal, for me anyway. With the PlusNet free offering it was terrible. I bought a Belkin N750 and it was a lot better, but the signal wasn't strong enough for me. The Asus RT-N56U I've got is stellar, meaning I can get pretty near full speed over wifi. It's had a few firmware upgrades over the past year although they've added nothing new for me, perhaps it's made it more stable although I've had to reset it no more than previous adsl routers, maybe twice I think over the past year (discounting the restarts due to firmware upgrades, of which there's been about 3). The interface is nice and friendly, fairly responsive and the mobile app is good too.

I thought I was happy with 16Mb, but.. my word once you go fibre you no go back.

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

not sure how accurate the BT site is but check your phone numbers here