1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 2 Nov 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Cool, me wants.

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Actually these are about the results I expected. Even now the biggest advantage I've seen from dual core CPUs is offloading background system tasks.

P.S. :thumb: Thanks for the review, you guys :rock:

Last edited: 2 Nov 2006
  4. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

If there's 4 cores, can you run a benchmark on doing 4 tasks simultaneously?

Obviously there would be nothing to compare to unless you happen to have a dual-socket board for X2 chips about.

5. Icerumba

Icerumba What's a Dremel?

Oblivion

What impact do you think the Core 2 Extreme QX6700 would have on Oblivion?

Thanks.

6. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Nice review.

That must have taken a while given the comparitive analysis of the other hardware.

The enthusiast community will gain little use from these processors, the applications that we are all using currently are not designed to be run on 4 cores. Applications can obviously still gain extra performance, but it's minimal

Even the heaviest of multi-taskers will see little benefit of Quad over Dual core CPU's.

The future may hold more for Quad Core CPU's in the mainstream market, but it's currently looks like the Quad GPU situation - Lots of promise but immature.

I wont be buying it yet.

7. xrob

xrob What's a Dremel?

So when it shipping ?

8. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I agree with zr_ox, sort of. Games taking advantage of multiple cores are on the horizon for 2007. Desktop use, though, most people don't use intensive applications, just a lot of small ones. Dual core is fine for most.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

page 1:

"However, since the QX6700 is a newer product, one can expect it to cost a little more than the X6800 when it first appears on the market on November 14th, but the two should cost about the same once the market starts to settle down when sufficient volume gets into the hands of retailers."

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

The great thing about the chip is that I can fill two of the cores and still have two cores left sitting idle. I've found that I can top out a dual-core chip in some of the more intense scenarios I find myself in, but with a quad-core chip everything's nice and smooth in even the most intense scenarios I've got myself into. :)

11. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Yep, anyone who runs quickpar can easily hit 100% usage on a dual-core...

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Tim, any idea when a native quad will be coming out or am I just being greedy? lol

I'll be going quad in my new rig for the sole reason that it is possible to max a dual core setup, vista is a hungry hungry hippo and because I want to be able to actually multitask lol

With that in mind, do you reckon I need quad? lol i'll get it anyway, just wondered if i need it :naughty:

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

AMD's K8L comes out sometime next year - that'll be the first native quad-core chip. Intel probably won't move to native quad-core til late 2007/early 2008.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Ah so AMD might retake top spot next year, that's comforting to know. Chip looks good. Even though it's not especially usefull for the majority of us, with a bit of luck it'll put C2D prices down a bit.

15. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

ARGH, see now i'll want to wait for the AMD answer but let me guess, nothing til Q2 or 3? I guess by then there maybe an SP for Vista, this is the problem isn't it, always new stuff coming out to wait for, but I guess in this case with quad core and DX10 its worth waiting for it to bed in for a few months, or do you reckon I should just go with it? (that question is open to anyone).

16. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Oh I am such a filthy, filthy clam... Though it is positive to see the FX-62 never drop under five frames of the new quad thingy (in games)...

17. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I'm assuming your running this on a server anyway?

It's overkill running Quickpar on a desktop. It may sound fancy but otherwise .....hmmmm pointless. Server based yeah but then it would run as a back ground task on a server running other services, or dedicated server if necessary.

I'm sure in certain scenarios Tim you can make good use of this, but how long does it take you to load all those apps and still maintian an overview of what your doing. In a server environment Quad cores are a godsend, but given the lack of applications programmed for 4 cores I see no need for that amount of juice. It's nice to have the bragging rights though.

Maybe Quad cores were made by feminists, after all men are apparently very bad at multi tasking, this could be their effort to help us. Perhaps the real test of how much better multiple cores are would be to benchmark a woman using a PC with a P4, and a man using the QX6700 the results could be interesting.

18. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Desktop, I use it to repair files.

19. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to this thing for 3D rendering, while doing everything else the standard enthusiast does with their PC :D

20. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

*shrugs at quad core* you could have had this like 2 years ago with a dual xeon setup lol :)

When does alandale? (the quad core xeon) start to ship? -- 8 cores in a dual rig.

Tags: Add Tags