1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming 7 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 4 Jan 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Bottom of the first page, in the spec list of the board; it lists Z170 rather than Z270 :)

Otherwise, I feel, and have done for a while, that the motherboard market is very stagnant with little to nothing differentiating any of the boards.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

It's a bit of an unfortunate side effect really. Back when motherboards were a real mixed bag it was exciting, new ones could come along with great performance, crazy features etc. but you also got a lot of duds. Nowadays you have to look pretty hard for a genuinely rubbish board, which for consumers is technically great, but it's much less interesting. Hobbies like overclocking are almost entirely CPU dependent now, certainly with higher end boards and non-exotic cooling, so one motherboard doesn't really stand above the rest, because they sort of can't.

Similarly, they could chuck out some features in place of others, but you only have so many PCIe lanes, connections for USB etc. And if you try to go hard with some new form factor for instance, nothing's compatible and you don't get the necessary sales.

There are exciting things to be had, just almost entirely in the niche areas like Asrock's X99 ITX board or their inverted one with the 90 degree PCIe slot.

Audio's already great now, can only make it better I suppose, but there's not crazy headroom. Overclocking won't move much. Storage is cool but we don't need faster than M.2 currently, so bang a decent sized one of those and chuck big volumes on SATA devices and you're fine. You're basically left with aesthetics, hence why everybody's focusing on RGB support, it's sort of what's left.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

One of the main areas where boards can differ, at least for mITX, is the layout. Some mITX boards have really poor layouts and others are much more pleasant to live with. I'm still not sure there's any need for one manufacturer to have a dozen ATX Z270 boards, but I'd rather have too much choice than too little.

5. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Seems like a solid board to me, with the various frills you like to have if you opt for a non-budget setup.
    I hear they overdid it a bit with all the included software utilities though, but a lot of that is optional anyway.

I do find it odd though that I can't seem to find what power output is available on the USB-c port when looking in the manual. The whole USB-c capabilities and symbols thing is a right mess all over the industry though, all the manufacturers fail to pout the right symbols on the shields and as I said even the manual fails to give complete information.

As for this review: I'm a bit puzzled by the audio section of this review since the "Total harmonic distortion" has no number or bar in the graph for this board, without explaining why not.

Tags: Add Tags