1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia Tegra 4 'Wayne' specs leak ahead of launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Dont see how they will get a quad core to last more than a few hrs in a phone if its been used.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Quite easily: the current-generation Tegra 3 is quad-core, and found in the HTC One X+ and other smartphones without issue. Samsung's Exynos 4 is also available as a quad-core part, and powers the Galaxy S3 - again without issue. As is Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 Pro, which powers the Nexus 4.

Given that the Tegra 4 will be a lower-TDP 28nm part, I shouldn't think battery life will be a problem.

5. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

^Plus, it has a "companion" core. It switches between it and the main. It's lower-clocked, and the two sets are never used at the same time.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Depends on how you define no problem, personally I'm sick of having to charge phones and tablets each and every day. Plus the battery life of my Note 2 is so atrocious I have to carry a spare smartphone.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Companion core should take care of that.

Sounds like something from Portal... :worried:

8. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

I thought the note had great battery life?

9. rollo

rollo Modder

I dont really consider 3-4hrs of real usage great battery life. If i play a game on my samsung SG3 it lasts about 2-3hrs maximum, Before i get the 10% warning.

Yes if i use it as a phone email device it lasts the day but any form of music playing / light gaming and your taking the charger to work with you if you want it to last a full day.

Note 2 has good battery life if you dont really use it, Same as any smartphone. Put any sort of usage onto a smartphone be it web browsing 3d gaming or otherwise and the battery just tanks.

No smartphone has good battery life at the minute if you really use it as a smartphone. 3-5hrs is the best you can hope for with consistant usage.

Would personally like to see a longer battery life even if speeds were a touch slower on these quad core phones ( do we even need a quadcore phone, All the SG3 needs is a faster GPU the CPU in it is fast enough)

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I wish people would stop complaining about the battery life of smart phones. It is what it is. You are getting a device that has that latest and greatest technology hardware and then complain that they don't last as long as old style mobiles. That is like buying a super car to replace your economical one and then complaining because it guzzles the petrol. You are not buying a smart phone for its battery, but for what it can do. If you want long lasting performance try buying an old style phone instead,

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

That isn't the right attitude. I would rather have a larger phone that actually lasts all day than the current iPhone / 920 / HTC handsets which do shutdown after 4-5 hours of proper usage.

I need my phone to work from 9am - 5pm as I am out of the office a lot, no phone does that yet.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Looking forward to seeing the SBCs are based on this. Quad-core tegra with full OpenGL compatibility? Sign me up.

Though somehow I suspect that the price tags, at least for reference boards, will be rather eye-watering at first...

13. SchizoFrog

Not the right attitude? So complaining that something doesn't exist is? I am sure that if it was that easy then they would have done it by now. The fact is that you are in the vast minority and the masses would not buy a larger phone just because it lasted longer. All these smart phones are designer items whether you like a design or not and a design that was x3 thicker and much heavier just would not sell.

14. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Where is this "3-4hours" battery life coming from? You would have to be pretty much constantly downloading over 3G to burn that much power. Are you running loads of crapware apps that are loading adverts?

I've got a Nokia E6 that does 2 or 3 days on one charge. I have it syncing on 2 email accounts, and each day do ~6 hours of listening to music and ~1hour of browsing. I know plenty of people with similar use patterns that get over a day from their Android phones.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Want more battery, buy a bigger battery! Sure it "ruins" the lines of the phone but if it extends the utility of the phone it must be worth it.

16. SchizoFrog

Exactly... All these battery comments just sound like a spoilt kid in a toy shop having a tantrum at Christmas:

'I want, I want, I want...'

17. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

18. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I have had the LG optimus 2x and now the 4X models (cores respective to their names) being tegra 2 and tegra 3 respectively, and I have to say im extremely impressed with Tegras capablities. Non gaming on my LG 4X battery power lasts much longer than expected for a quad core. Standby mode lasts even longer still. Shame im now on a 24 month contract for my newer model, as 12/18 month contracts were unfortunately higher initial upfront payments to get. Tegra4 with all the above with the possibility of same or better battery life. If youy havent got a tegra based phone and enjoy games/hd movies/ plugging your phones into HD TV'S at a friends house, you NEED one of these. Best handheld technology purchases in my honest opinion.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I said less than a day, not 3 - 4 hours, there is a massive difference between 3 - 4 hours and a day. 7am to midnight = 17 hours, so taking the 4 hours thats more than 4 times as much.