1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals MX Master

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 21 Jun 2015.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Finally Logitech; at least in my eyes have redeemed themselves.

[​IMG]

For the last few years I have been keeping an eye out for a replacement to my much loved MX Revolution, I currently have two in service and prior to that I had 3 of them, all RMA'd due to charging/battery issues. (All bad luck)

Despite the issues, the ergonomics for me at least are perfect, however I knew one day our time together would have to cease.

When Logitech released their MX Performance, something about it screamed "Cheap and nasty", and my opinion on the matter was confirmed when one appeared at work. The scroll wheel felt cheap and the mechanism wasn't electro-mechanical any more, but a plastic mechanism . The introduction of the gesture button under the thumb was craptactular; It always got knocked and after one colleague gave it a test, it came back stoved in and mashed to death much to our confusion, however he was a "lift and smash" mouse user..

[​IMG]

So after the confirmation that the revolutions replacement was over shadowed by its predecessor, I became very disheartened about the future. Then early this year I came across the news that Logitech were releasing the MX Master. I can't say my curiosity wasn't heightened upon hearing the news, certainly the press release video impressed me, then I became aware that it was due for release this summer.

Yesterday I went out to look at stereos, and I came across a display model of the MX master, I thought "holy f**k, I can get hands on with one!" (And yes I bought a stereo..)

It took less than 2 minutes after getting my hands on the demo shell to decide that I was buying it.

So nearly a day on with it, is this a worthy replacement to the mighty MX Revolution? Possibly too soon to say, as my hand is getting use to a new form after 7 years use of the MX Rev. I find the side scroll wheel is a little easy to jog by accident whilst searching for the back button, however that is something that in time I will get use to. I am also battling my way back from a nasty occurrence of RSI, due to a poor set-up at work which has since been totally overhauled after a year of making do much to my own silliness.

[​IMG]

I really do love the new form, and colours they chose. In the last few years the "Gaming enthusiast" style has taken off, with a strange mix of sci-fi crossed with future military equipment. That's not my "style", and it been annoying when searching for replacement peripherals of quality hardware, and interesting feature sets. So I definitely find this mouse a some what refreshing.

[​IMG]

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

As a fellow MX Revolution user, Logitech's documentation of the MX Master is shockingly poor, so I'd like to pick your brains on what the MX Master can actually do:

- Is the scroll wheel REALLY lacking side-scroll (I use the thumb-wheel for shortcuts, so I can't waste it on side-scroll)?
    - Supposedly the 'thumb-rest' is clickable. Is it a single button, or multiple?
    - Is the side scroll wheel free-spinning or push-to-select (as the Revolution's is) i.e. can it still be assigned 3 keyboard shortcuts (forward, back, and 'press in')?
    - Can the scroll wheel be pushed in to middle-click (bizarrely a few Logitech mice have dropped this basic feature, e.g. any billed as 'toggleable scroll')?

I've luckily avoided the MX Revolution's battery problems, and they're easy to take apart to maintain. But the 'soft touch' coating on the right side always starts to degrade after a year or two of use, and I haven't found any easy way to repair this.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Hi,

Yes the side scrolling of the middle button scroll wheel feature has been removed, however the middle button is still there.

The thumb rest is a single button that is somewhat programmable iirc and the thumb operated scroll wheel is somewhat free spinning and non clickable.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

warranty is less :/ Here it is 1 year, MX Rev and Performance MX were 3 years.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That's a shame, guess I'll be sticking with the MX Revolution.