1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Software for reducing Music size

Discussion in 'Software' started by fdbh96, 21 Mar 2012.

1. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Im looking for a program that will convert my music from 320kbps (CD Rips) and 256kbps (iTunes) to a smaller file size.

What is the smallest file size you would recommend and how would I go about this?

TIA

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

well if it wasnt for the fact that you use itunes i would say use wma (windows media audio), file sizes are a hell of a lot smaller.

3. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Dbpoweramp music converter.

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Its to go on a memory card in a (oldish) phone.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Looks good... How small should I go on the kbps. I assume kbps is what decides the file size other than length.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Bear in mind that encoding music twice generally isn't a good idea, will be better quality if you can encode them from the source.

7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Can only speak for mp3's , but, under 192 kbps always seems to sound wrong to me, you lose a lot of audio quality with the compression. Rip a CD to 128 kbps and you'll probably be able to hear what i mean. 320 kbps sounds good, but obviously flac and wav tend to give even better sound (with a much larger file, not what you want). Doing a variable bit rate can help lower file sizes a little.

If it's to use the phone as a walkman type thing, see if it's possible to get a larger memory card maybe ?

Freeware app for conversion - Freemake Audio Converter - i found it off a google search, so can't say how good it is, but it says it does what you'd want. Maybe try converting a track to a few different formats and see if any suit your needs ?

8. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

foobar 2k? Converts from any format to whatever you want. As for bit rate, you might want to think about where you'll be listening to that music. Noisy subway with somewhat decent in-ears where you can still hear the crowds. You'll probably be able to get by with 192kbps. Leaky earbuds, maybe 128. Essentially the better you can hear the music, (quiet surroundings / better sound isolating equipment etc) the higher you'd want the bitrate. No point bringing around quality if you can't actually hear it.

PS: Entirely my POV as I've done it before. Bringing FLAC around though the surroundings are so noisy that unless i blast my music I can't hear the details. Until I had a duh moment while I was yet again swapping out the songs dus to storage constraints.

9. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Check out audacity, also 128 is the lowest I would recommend to go, 256 is the lowest I would personally go, also use VBR

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll just try them all out to see which is best.

the card is already 4gb up from 512mb and I only listen to music on it rarely so I don't really think it would be worth it.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

How many song are you trying to fit on? I can get over 400 highest quality VBR's on to 4 GB and still have room to spare.

12. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

At low bitrates, AAC generally gives the best quality. If you're listening on a phone, 128Kbps AAC is probably fine.

13. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Not sure how many, just some favourite songs from albums, but probably about 200. And what are VBRs?.

14. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

VBR = variable bit rate.

15. Deders

Deders Modder

If it's only 200 or so you should have no problem, 320's aren't that much bigger than hq VBR's.

16. rickythomas

rickythomas What's a Dremel?

I also agree with the point mentioned by Dedar, as the source media file will be nice to go with instead of editing the copied one.

17. Warner0001

Warner0001 What's a Dremel?

There is a one of the best dvd slideshow softerware in http://dvdslideshow.net, which can be used to edit pictures, music and video, you can import the music first and save as multiple formats, the flv format should be much smaller than the one you need. :thumb:

18. DystopianDream

DystopianDream What's a Dremel?

^^this. If you're keeping the originals for normal use and these are just for your phone, 128AAC is perfect. Lowest bitrate you can get away with with it still sounding decent.

To get there you can use iTunes. Change CD import settings to 128aac and then right click on the files in iTunes and choose "create aac version"

If for some reason you don't want to use iTunes, a standalone, powerful (but slightly more complex to use) encoder is fre:ac. Free and open source and is properly multithereaded so its faster on good machines. (iTunes only uses 2 cores unless something has changed recently).

You just need to select FAAC encoder and "configure selected encoder" to 64kbs per channel, max frequncey to 41100 (41.1khz), allow joint stereo, don't allow temporal noise shaping, and under format tab choose MP4 and LC.

Enjoy :D