1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards How to set power-on-by-mouse-click?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 2 Jan 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just bought a Logitech G5 from Staples for a cheap £20. :D to replace my £6 value PS2 mouse

but G5 is USB, so i cannot get my "power-on by mouse click" thing to work. with a PS3 mouse, simply set it in BIOS and to turn on the computer, just double click right mouse (or left, depends on selection) and it will act as a power-on button.

have tryed setting a "USB Mouse" to "BIOS" from "OS", but that didn't seem to do anything.

so has anyone got their USB mouse to work via the "power-on by mouse click" option? what about USB keyboards for "power-on by key combo" option? (trying to find a good deal on G15 ATM)

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Your motherboard might need a jumper setting to provide power to USB devices while in S3 sleep.

cpemma likes this.
  3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

My MS wireless mouse needs a lot of movement to re-start Vista from S3 and its receiver also needs plugging into the right USB port on my board. The fixed ones on the I/O plate work but the extra ones coming from motherboard headers to slot-cover ports don't. May be to do with 5VSB and/or what Capt. Pedro said. :confused:

I don't think clicking the buttons does anything, doing a figure 8 or triple Salko works fine.

Also have a look at the Mouse entry in Device Manager, check under Properties/Power Management tab that "Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2009
  4. wyx087

thanks for the replys

it is connected to the back IO of motherboard, which is always connected, unless my motherboard is broken in half.

"Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked when i checked.

interesting...... there is a S3 power setting above the "USB Mouse" setting in the USB BIOS page. i think it is set to allow power to the mouse. but when the computer is OFF, the G5 speed LED is not lit.

remember, im looking to power-on the computer, not to resume from sleep/hibernation.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Have you thought of using the 'standard with any normal mouse but normally gets thrown away' USB->PS2 convertor?

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I didn't even realise that was possible.

7. wyx087

USB settings page:
    [​IMG]

power settings page: the highlighted part is where i used to put "By Right Click" and i can power-on PC by double right click my older PS2 mouse
    [​IMG]

yes, have thought of it, but i don't have any of that, all i have are a few notebook small USB mouse and a few normal PC PS2 mouse. this G5 is my first non-notebook USB mouse.

also, won't that disable the G5's features such as DPI settings?

ah, looks like i will have to open/closing my Antec p182 doors when i want to power-on the PC. stupid door.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've taken to using 'S3 Sleep' at night, after closing any open programs to minimise any memory leaks and other weird effects. The current draw of the system box is then low enough to make an Intelliplug turn off the printer/monitor/speakers.

I still need to do the occasional re-start to set MS & AV updates, etc. but it's all mouse-driven. Only need to open the door to insert a disc. ;)

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Mod a button onto it somewhere.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I assumed everyone had them! Couldn't tell you about the DPI stuff as I've not got a G5...

11. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

You could dismantle the PS2 mouse, have both mice plugged in, remove the wheel/whatever from the PS2 mouse, keep the PCB and the left/right button from the PS2 mouse and tape it under your desk or similar? Anti-theft too ;) (They can't turn it on if you unplug the power switch, or they're clever (bummer))
    I've actually been thinking about sorting something like this out myself.

I have a USB mouse and have found it to not work with BIOS settings for power on by mouse, or from sleep mode. I think it's just that only PS2 mice can manage it. :(

You could try that if you still have the PS2 mouse with you? Or was it binned :(

12. wyx087

lol, i think i may just put the PS2 mouse somewhere to act as a power button. i don't have space/tools/time for modding. (project report due in next week, and then exams)

so is my BIOS S3 setting correct?

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Nah I just meant rip it apart and tape it under the desk ;) That's what I'm gonna do. God knows how I'd even begin to mod.

S3 sleep setting is the most power-saving mode of sleep, and AFAIK is the best version, with S1 still using power and yet they load back up in the same amount of time. I think it's just that the BIOS can't (in all cases) read double clicks from a USB mouse as a boot signal.

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

My Award BIOS is a bit different to yours, I have "Power on by keyboard" and "Power on by mouse", both disabled, I'm working the S3 sleep through Windows.

Reading the manual, seems if enabled "a double-click on the PS/2 mouse to turn on the system". So no mention of USB mice... Same on the keyboard; PS/2 only. Looks like that's the problem. :wallbash:

15. wyx087

thanks. forgot to check the manual myself.

in the world of USB prepherals, not supporting those standard USB Human Interface Device is plain stupid.

16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

My board, Asus P5Q Pro, with Award BIOS, doesn't support power on by USB at all, which is bad. :( I have a P182 aswell and I hate to have to open the door always to power it on.

Tags: