1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Car insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 21 Jun 2012.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Hell I'm 21 and i'll be passing my test pretty soon. I've been doing insurance checks and nothing i've came across is under 2k

First i tried the car I've had stored for a couple of years it's been my baby since like 17, Volvo S60 not even once... £6000

£2149.63
    VOLKSWAGEN GOLF S 16V 1598cc
    Third Party Fire & Theft cover, no NCB
    £250 voluntary excess requested

£2963.31
    MAZDA MX-3 AUTO 1597cc

£2860.27
    BMW 316 I (COMPACT) 1596cc

Any ideas on what would be cheaper on insurance that isn't a bag of complete crap, that'll kill you in second if your involved in a crash? :grr: or am i going to have to bite the bullet and pay 2k for the golf?

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm almost 20, been driving for two years, and I got quoted £10k p.a. for an MR2.

3. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

21 here, 3 years no claim fully comp insured for a grand on a 170bhp seat leon so it is possible, however I think its your lack of driving experience that's holding you back. I suggest you lower your engine size to a 1.2ish.

I drove a clio for 4 years prior and I didn't die ;)

If you can do it try a multi car plan with another family member.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Car insurnace is a joke without reason.

I owned a Cavalier Sri 130 when I was young, mad hot hatch and didn't get stung like youngsters today.

Excuse to print money as far as I'm concerned

5. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

Anything that has performance will cost you. Both my Discovery and MG TF are expensive to insure, as they are both performance and prestige vehicles. You'll get done for any car with something indicating at sportyness.

Anything over about 1.3 or 1.4 will be really hefty to insure, so get something like a polo or a corsa. If you have to have golf like performance, buy a skoda. Brilliant little cars, handle really well and cheap to insure. Don't buy anything with sport, gti, etc in its name. In fact, don't buy anything with a turbo, that will really hurt.

If you want performance, you'll have to pay.

Hope this helps
    Enterobsidian

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Tragically insurance for younger drivers is dear because they're statistically more likely to wrap their high powered motor round a tree.

Best option is something smallish, Focus or Astra or smaller. Its not about the damage you're going to do to your car its about the damage you'll do to others so small and unsporty are the words of the day. If its any consolation my 1.8l Vectra was 1.5k from most big insurers but got it for £700 from tesco so its probably still worth looking around some more. My 406 was £300 when I renewed it in April!

7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Drive something really crappy till your trusted, first time drivers are a high risk, put the ***** magnet on hold.

Once you've been driving for say 3 years with no claims it will be much easier to get what you want.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just love the way that fanny = crash.

9. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

I'm surprised it's so low, at 23 I'm being quoted 2k+ for a 1.4 clio, I've tried everything inclsuing a 1.2 corser and no luck getting it below 2k

10. vodkas666

vodkas666 What's a Dremel?

I'm 22 and drive a 1.2L R reg corsa and don't get anything under £3k p.a. As the car is worth £250 and excess is at £500 surely the insurance companies know I won't claim? They just like money and as its a private enterprise which is compulsory they will always ask for over the odds.

On another note my friends 80yo gran gets her insurance for £80p.a. She can't use one of her legs and I she can't tell her non-identical grandchildren apart she is that blind. So I'm the one more likely to have an accident :wallbash:

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Insurers aren't concerened about you claiming but more concerned of the claim of someone else if you hit someone

example

Add your area, I get quoted £750 for my car and 10mins down the road at the in laws a quote is under £500.

Insurers are the only companies allowed to catergoise people and charge you for it

As for the old ages people costs and risk, I was knocked off my motorbike by a 74 year old who didn't see me despite high-vis and lights on the bike, thanks for not getting your eyes checked

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Profession: Industrial Designer
    Car: 1998 Saab 900 Turbo

Insurance: £554

Saving of £227 from last year

13. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

24 years old £299/£50 excess on my kit car. £19 up from last year haha
    Girlfriends mini with both of us on it £560.
    My old mini was £515 tpft when 18....

You need to lower your engine size unfortunately.

14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

And here's me looking at Civic Type-R's for £800 fully comp at 21 with no NCB or driving experience.

Try looking at newer cars as well, they've got better brakes and safety systems, you're less likely to crash something with ABS then something old and clapped out. Corsa-C's are pretty cheap for me. Oh, and put your mum on the insurance, that lowers it a couple of £££ as well.

15. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Profession: Student
    No claims bonus: One year.
    Car: 52 plate BMW 320d

Insurance: £682.95 fully comp (£300 excess).

I hope it'll be cheaper again this year with another year ncb, although considering insurance seems to be constantly rising, maybe not.

Where are you getting the quotes from Evolutionsic? Always worth doing a comparethemarket or similar search (using a junk e-mail address and non working telephone number, just change a digit and check that it doesn't work). I used a cheaper quote to reduce my renew price last year.

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Not surprised you're getting quotes like that if you're looking at 'sporty' cars with mid size petrol engines like that.

Try something a little like a diesel skoda fabia (the older 1.9 is fast but not driven by young people so comes out quite cheap) or a 1.2L super mini (clio, fiesta, corsa etc.) just not the sport model. As soon as you've got one or two years no claims prices drop considerably.

They key to cheap insurance in your first few years driving is picking a car that young people don't normally drive as the statistics for it being involved in accidents will be more favourable.

My first car was a fiat punto (as I couldn't afford anything else) then after two years with that I had an ST170 and the insurance was less per year the the funto.

17. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Profession: Civil engineer
    NCB: None
    Full licence held: 1 year
    Car: 52 plate Seat Leon 1.4 S

Insurance: ~£750 TPFT

Go on confused.com and put your mum/girlfriend/aunt/gran on as a named driver (NOT as the policy holder and yourself as a named driver - that's illegal), should save you about 25%. Chances are Admiral will come out the cheapest. I was getting quotes around £750 for a 1.6 Mk4 Golf, £825 for a 1.8 GTI and £650 for a 1.2 Corsa C.

18. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Basically you're going to be stuck with a car that has 1 Lr / 1.2Lr for awhile.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

If it's any car with performance, you need to look at less mainstream insurers (ie. not on comparison sites). Companies like Sky Insurance, Pace Ward, Adrian Flux, etc.

For reference:

Car: Focus RS modified to 410bhp.
    NCB: 13 years
    Price: £422.00 pa Fully comprehensive + TPFT on any other vehicle.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You have two features that make you less risky though Phalanx; age and NCB.

I pay £600pa for my mod-declared 106 Rallye, 8 years NCB, 25 and in a very safe postcode.

The thing that makes insurance so expensive, apparently, is the risk of whiplash claims for every accident.