1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Confusion over EU cookie legislation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

Nice image! That really improved my day.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think it's funny that if you want to remember that a user has asked not to store cookies you must set a cookie.

4. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

So the EU brings out a law which controls the use of cookies by websites, then our government turns around and effectively tells the websites "don't worry about it, we can't be bothered"?

When will the government learn to keep it's nose out of things it doesn't understand?

5. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

So, the EU law says cookies are illegal and VERBOTEN without user consent.

Unless "required for a service." Awesome, no loopholes or confusions there at all.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

There may be grey areas, but at least this prevents things like tracking cookies. If I visit some news site once to read an article on their site, they are not providing me a service by attempting to track all the future sites I visit.

It may not be as clear cut as one would want, but for the worst offenders on this type of things, it definitely makes what they're doing illegal.

7. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

As always the EU tries to do the right thing by the consumer(people) ... the Tories the right thing by big business.

Britain is currently in the process of being taken to court over its casual attitude to the UK publics net privacy.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11443734

You've also got the very same Vaizey trying to further erode net neutrality(sop to ISPs), to sweeten the pill that is his attempt to introduce compulsory ISP level, content blocking (obviously deeply unpopular with ISPs). Can't imagine the average net user being thrilled about the prospect of having to ring an ISP when Vaizey's 'opt out' system is in place, in order to have adult themed content 'unlocked' on their account at ISP level. Many have long argued such systems should be 'opt in ' not 'opt out' like the system Vaizey has planned.

If Vaizey and the Tories get their way, they will mess up the net in the UK.

Last edited: 25 May 2011
  8. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I find it hard to believe that an organisation that has not had its accounts signed off in the last 15 years, re-runs elections until it gets the results it wants, and fires any whistleblowers for their betrayal, has any interest in doing what's right for the people.

So I'm wary of any regulations emanating from Brussels. However, I'm also wary of regulations coming from Westminster, so I guess I'm all in a bind. [Gets all shifty-eyed because a regulation might be creeping up behind him as he types]

9. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I wanna join the blue side, they have cookies!!

Unfortunately, only educated people on this subject should be deliberating laws. Laymen should step aside when it comes to this situations and for not doing that outrageous things happens and the world goes bursting in trolling

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Personally I prefer biscuits.

Of all the evils on the internet, they've gone after cookies.

11. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

If you haven't already ,it may be worth reading some of the speeches by the EU's Dutch, Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes, on these subjects. I think you'll find her proposals are eminently sensible, and very net user/ consumer friendly. There is obviously a broader debate to be had here , in which privacy is just a small part , net neutrality is another and ISP speed responsibilities, specifically the ability to quickly break out of contracts where claimed speeds aren't being met is another. Not all EU rules are bad rules if they're genuinely consumer friendly.

Of course the Sun/Mail would misrepresent any and all of these new proposals as somehow bad.

Last edited: 25 May 2011
  12. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

The wording of EU Directive 2002/58/EC seems quite clear (section 25). Cookies and any other data stored on "terminal equipment" must have a "legitimate purpose" and even then consumers must be informed and given the choice of an opt-out (though as Jamie notes, this then needs an opt-out cookie).

On the plus side, this should cover Flash local storage, HTML 5 persistent storage, Javascript cookies and similar tracking tools. On the minus side, the biggest offenders (Google, Omniture, Paypal, Facebook) are US-based (making enforcement difficult) and this doesn't address browser fingerprinting (which can be just as effective as cookies in tracking users with a static IP address) since it requires no data stored on the "terminal equipment" at all.

Also when even the European Data Protection Supervisor website fails to comply, it doesn't give much confidence in the EU's ability (or willingness) to enforce this directive. So it will still be technical countermeasures (web filtering, hosts files, browser privacy settings) that provide the greatest safeguards.

13. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Everyone knows that cookies in themselves are harmless, its how they are used that across websites that is the real issue.

What about data stored relating to Flash or Java / Javascript based apps, surely that is at least as intrusive if not more so?

14. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

That's included in the wording of the directive (see link above) - cookies are quoted as an example.

15. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

That isn't clear since there is no real commital on what is a legitimate purpose. I consider remarketing to be a legitimate practice. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree though.

But one paragraph taken out of the whole directive is no use. Even the ICO's guideline document is intentionally vague, not setting out any concrete ways to meet the legislation.

The ICO have updated their own website with one possible solution. Frankly It looks ****, is a waste of time,and does absolutely nothing except inconvenience the user. It certainly isn't protecting privacy.

16. andyb123

andyb123 What's a Dremel?

don't forget that it was Labour that rushed through the Digital Economy Act 2010 which says that they can basically cut off your internet if they *think* you *might* have been downloading music

17. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

well if nothing else, we can all take this as a entertaining reminder that politicians really don't understand what the people want, in a quite literal sense.

Tags: Add Tags