1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Core 2 price cuts when AMD Barcelona hits.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 12 Mar 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Are those prices list prices (i.e. PP 1000) or individual RRP?

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's some serious chip for a seriously low price. Looks like Intel are battening down the hatches for C2D getting stomped by Barcelona. Do they know something we don't?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

More than likely per batch, but come Q3 prices could change dramatically depending on how the market shifts. Naturally take speculation with a pinch of salt as to what the exact price will become. ;)

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like AMD better have some good performance under their hood. Check out the other articles on the lniked site, they show possible new CPUs at less then 100$ (50 to 70$) ! Sound perfect for low profile cases

6. cereal_killer

cereal_killer What's a Dremel?

hope q6600 drops to $266 in august cause i'm looking to have new pc around then els its an e6600 for me

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

nice, even cheaper cpu's.... looks like amd got something nice coming if intel pushes prices so hard.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

D'oh, I want to upgrade Now (not that there hasn't ever been a good time to wait, but that price drop means waiting half a year could pay back Big time.) Let's hope Barcelona ROCKS.

What I don't get is why Intel is announcing this now (I don't buy the reason given - for that they would have waited & dropped the prices later without the announcement now) - are they trying to slow demand by giving people an incentive for waiting? - or are they (as Krikkit said) preparing for Barcelona now so that later price reductions don't look reactionary?

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm putting money on AMD releasing big news this week.

10. randosome

randosome Banned

:jawdrop: /drool

mm i wish i had dual core :( sucks being a student

11. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

heh, i guess there is major amd news in the pipes and intel dont want to lose those gamers.

12. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

maybe intel do know something we don't, but then again they could just be preparing themselves in case Barcelona is awesome (never been a fan of AMD myself tbh) and will still have leg to stand on in the market..

But we will see. other than that i think new news on Barcelona will be out sooner rather than later

13. traderonline

traderonline What's a Dremel?

i'm waiting for a price drop. i still think it's too early to upgrade my athlon64 3500+

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i will wait until "barcelona" comes out.... someone benchmarks it (/me winks at bit-tech).... and then make my choice based on price/performance/power consumption.

15. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

That's awesome. :rock: Just how good is Barcelona, I wonder, if it has prompted so much preemptive damage control? :idea:

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I have to wonder if Intel isn';t thinking that just maybe they can kill AMD all together. The R&D on all these new chips has to be costing the dearly and unless I'm missing somthing, I'll bet they're not making much profit on them. Could it be that they're taking a loss in hopes of killing their only real competition?

17. Fiber4now

Fiber4now Don't feed the trolls

What it seems to me is that Intel is playing the game now of not allowing AMD any breathing room, They know that Barcelona may be launched in early Q3 but it will not be able to ramp until Q1 2008 and that is only for sever market. With all of these nice bright and shiny QC2Ds and C2Ds, Intel will have every possible price point covered making it hard for an AMD enthusiast to stay with AMD. The Penryn and next years Core 3 will take on the Barcelona so as they say in Australia "No worries mate"

As far as Barcelona is concerned how much performance will come under the hood of a 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 GHz quad anyway when compared to what we have seen from Intel's QE6700 running in a factory overclocked Dell XPS 710 H2C which is the leader of the OEM circuit right now? Barcelona for desktop has not even been announced as of yet with AMD claiming their new core strictly for server use.

So looking at it in a business sense Intel wants to bury AMD in competitive cores now and not later as some have suggested here.

18. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I would suggest intel were only charging £800 for it because there was no competition for a quad-core processor, much as AMD did with the X2 line when P4 was all it had to compete with in the desktop market, so its not too surprising they will drop the price to a competitive level when it will actually have competiton.

Anandtech(?)'s write-up on barcelone makes it sound like it really could give C2D a run for its money and penryn isn't expected to be out in quantity till 6 months later.

the latter part of this year is definetely going to be interesting to watch :)

19. RevolMidnight

RevolMidnight What's a Dremel?

:( I just upgraded after 7 years of running the same PC. Had I waited just a little longer...

20. 3.5SE

3.5SE What's a Dremel?

I had planned on building a new rig once the Q2 price drop took effect but now it looks like I'll be holding out for a Q6600 quad core for $266. That would be sweet. By then the 8800's will probably drop as well as AMD/ATI should have their DX10 cards out as well.

Tags: Add Tags