1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory 3x2GB - 6GB DDR2

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Timmy_the_tortoise, 26 Jul 2011.

1. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Hey,

I currently only have 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 RAM installed in my PC, and I am beginning to find that it is limiting me too much in what I can do.

So, I just bought a 2x2GB 4GB kit... Is it possible to have those two occupying a single DDR2 channel and then the one that is already in there just run in Single Channel to make 6GB?

Also, is it possible to use RAM from different manufacturers working together? I think I just bought the kit from the same manufacturer as the 2GB stick - crucial - but I don't have access to my PC at the moment because I'm not back home till Friday... I want to do the upgrade this weekend whilst I'm there.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

just use 4GB in dual channel it will be more beneficial than 6GB in single

4GB is the sweet spot so unless your hammering your RAM with video encoding and photoshop 4GB is all you need.

oh and yes you can mix and match but you must match the settings i.e,. speed, timings voltages etc
    its better to use the same sticks

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Okey Dokey.

If I really feel the need for more RAM I guess I'll buy another 2GB stick and have 8GB... assuming that the current 2GB is the same as the kit.

Thanks for the help.