1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Additional SATA Ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Saint_, 4 Aug 2014.

1. The_Saint_

The_Saint_ What's a Dremel?

Ok - so what's the easiest/cheapest/best way of gaining more Sata ports - no raid, nothing fancy, just extra sockets?

The background; put my order in for my case today (Corsair 550D) and looking forward to the fact that I can actually fit a decent number of HDDs in the case for a change (I'm moving from a Zalman 160), then I realise that the motherboard I had in mind (Asus Ranger) only has 6 Sata ports...

I currently have a OS drive, Optical and two 3TB drives in Raid 1, and use two an external Sata ports to backup to two 1Tb drives.

I also have two 500Gb drivers laying spare, so wanted to include them in the build. But even dropping to just one external port - I'm one short.

I've found this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2-port-lycom-pe-115-sata-iii-6gbps-low-profile-pci-e-20-host-adapter

But also reading this thread, seems that cards are not ideal:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=267168&highlight=sata+expansion&page=2

Is is therefore worth looking at a different board? Don't really want to step up to the Asus Hero due to cost really, but by the time I factor in the additional card I'm looking at a £10 difference?

Any thoughts?

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If it's just for general file storage then one of those pci-e expansion cards would be fine. If you need more speed you could try scouring ebay for a second hand server raid card.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I got a cheapo card from my local PC shop when I needed some more when the new graphics card blocked two of the onboard ports. Cost £12.

Just got the optical drive hooked up to it now, but it was fine with a storage drive and optical drive too.

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

5. The_Saint_

The_Saint_ What's a Dremel?

Thanks - will go for one of those,

Cheers,