1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8.1 could allow for Start Screen bypass

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Finally Might look at Win 8 now

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

PC sales are falling and windows 8 (in it's current form) is contributing to that.

In a world where people want small low power devices, a central store for their media and everything able to play everything MS has shot itself in the foot too many times.

Home server? Did they migrate it down into appliances and simplify it to increase adoption? - NO

Home? Did they bring out something 'new' that would appeal to home users? - NO

Windows? Did they make it look appealing to use it as a family friendly, low cost and quiet family device? - NO

Windows? Did they keep it optimised for those with conventional desktops & laptops? - NO

Windows? Did they make the choice of 'Should I buy another windows machine?' easy? - NO.

Mobile? Did they bring in something genuinely new? - NO

Windows 8? Did 'most' people see a benefit in upgrading? - NO

4. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Booting to modern UI is only one of its little annoyances. The fact they have hidden things like control panel is a far worse sin.
    The good news is that learning some keyboard shortcuts make it much more tolerable. win+I for example.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Hidden? If you're using desktop, you can right click the bottom left corner and select control panel :)

6. runadumb

Double post.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2013
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I only bought Windows 8 because it was £25 and you could turn off the start screen. It's OK, I've gotten used to it - but I don't really care all that much. Sticking with 7 would have been just dandy too.

8.1 sounds an awful lot like Windows 7 ;)

8. runadumb

EDIT: Windows 8 is on my HTPC, not my desktop. Like Spreadie I got it because it was £25. Well that and it boots in the time it takes me to turn it on, pickup the keyboard and sit down.
    I'm saying it boots fast.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well that not strictly true is it, AFAIK Windows 8 returns from a partial hibernation, so it never truly shuts down.

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

There are a few nags about windows 8 which I would love to get changed. This is one of them (lucky for us, there are some hacks that brings back the old way of doing things). But in the end this should not even be needed at all, if they listen to the users.

If I was the leader of window 8, I would have build in a 'touch device' detection that only shows all touch related items (like the start screen) to the users of touch devices. And straight to desktop if you do not have a touch device.

The second thing I would change is the async copying off files from one drive to others. If you copy, lets say, ten 1gb files to another drive the copy process slows down to a halt. Only pausing some files will make it faster. It should by copied one after another it makes it that much faster.

The third thing I would change is showing the program folder content, it is impossible to find installed programmes.

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Then there is the fact that you have settings in two places now.

Safe mode is very difficult to get into, especially if you cant boot normally to use msconfig.

It's insists on using metro apps by default, even if you are in desktop!

Installing unsigned drivers is horrible unless you always run it in 'Test mode', which breaks the metro
    apps if you even wanted them.

There is no way of white listing UAC prompts, But then again there wasn't in 7 either.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Looked at a Win8 laptop with my wife last week.
    It was non-touch, as many are.
    She didn't have a clue where to click, moving the mouse around all kinds of stuff would start to pop up. turned out she was making mouse gestures, without realising it.

It should come with a tutorial. It's not that change is bad, but unexplained change just isn't intuitive.

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I have Win 8 set to boot straight to desktop. Control panel = win key + type "cont..." same as Win 7.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, that's why Apple desktop and laptop PC's are declining as well. :p Actually Lenovo is still doing very well, and not just because they offer a Windows 7 install option. Why? Good after sales service, and it does not produce plastic crap. Something Microsoft has been criticising OEMs for a bit lately.

Ironically Windows 8 runs so lean that it makes old hardware perform as new. Perhaps that is another reason why people are not upgrading --they don't have to. And in times of austerity that is pretty darn handy.

As for Control Panel, once it is running right-click on its icon in the taskbar and select: "Pin to taskbar". Presto.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2013
  15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

It really is that simple yet the so called enthusiasts just seem to whine and whine. Microsoft Cheesecake!

16. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I love Windows 8 and yes I love the Modern UI, I find using Windows 7 start menu a major step backwards.

We have found in an enterprise environment there is less training issues with 8 and the modern UI that Windows 7.

Also someone commented "Mobile? Did they bring in something genuinely new? - NO" I think they did, the people hub/app is brilliant, using iphone is rubbish now having to swap apps to check FB. Twitter, SMS etc, I am going to regret having to give my 920 back to work when I leave and go back to my iPhone as I find the Windows Phone OS to be utterly brilliant, much slicker and faster than iOS which is frankly never changed since version 1, and Android which is a bug ridden fragmented mess

17. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

+1

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

++1

And let's not forget Live Tiles. I looked at the new HTC One this weekend. The phone itself is beautiful --the sexiest thing to come out since the iPhone 4. But the latest Android JB OS is confusing. It looks great, polished even, but it's a mess (HTC's own version of Live Tiles on the home screen makes it worse). It just lacks the clear overview and smooth navigating elegance of WP8.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't think anyone is denying 8 works well on mobile platforms, but as this news snippet points out 8 does not work so well for non touch enabled devices or when using a mouse+keyboard.
    As has been said before, forcing your users into working a specific way probably isn't a good idea.

20. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

Good news. I am just really craving a Start Menu in the "traditional" Windows style however.

I appreciate that currently you can still access programs just as quick, but I preferred the old layout where I could organise Program folders myself in the Start Menu.

It's a rather nice operating system once you get used to the nuances of it however.