1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F@H and Ubuntu 9.04 ....

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by DocJonz, 27 Apr 2009.

1. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Anyone had chance to test out Ubuntu 9.04 yet?
    If so, how does it compare speed-wise with 8.04 and 8.10 for SMP's? Is it back up to 8.04 speed or better, that's the real question?

Plus, since I've spent hours trying to GPU Fold under Ubuntu but never with any success - unless you call trashing the O/S success of course :duh: - does 9.04 make life any easier in this context (while we wait 'patiently' for Stanford to produce a lovely 'trouble-free' native version - we can always dream ;))?

[​IMG]

2. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

9.04 includes the 2.6.28 kernel which fixes the MPI bottleneck bug introduced in 2.6.27 (8.10). Folding performance should be back on the same level as 8.04 (which used the 2.6.26 kernel)

3. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

I am using it and i am getting 2400ppd each on two copies using a Q6000. Thats with the VMs using a slightly lower priority than the GPU clients. So i am quite happy with that.

4. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

So thats why the ppd was low on 8.10.

5. DocJonz

Thanks for the feedback - I'll take a look when I'm back on 'pastures green' ...

[​IMG]

6. DocJonz

Hope you guys are enjoying your bank holiday :D - the Chinese have just had Labour day, so they're all off .... why is it we still have to work all weekend :wallbash:

Anyway, when I do eventually get back UK-side I'm going to try to give the old "GPU folding under Ubuntu" another stab - is there an up-to-date guide on setting this up using WINE under Ubuntu 9.04 (with all the caveats and nuisances outlined) ..... at least I can start reading up :)

7. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?