1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Omega Desk by Daniel Fessler (Squigly)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Feb 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

That is a thing of beauty

3. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

amazing work, love this build, some serious modding skill in that build!

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

That is just sexy. I want one.

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Excellent work. I'm not sure about mounting the HDD's at an angle though; surely that will incur increased wear on the bearings.

6. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

The angled drives are SSDs (see the log here http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=231308 )

There are separate bays for the mechanical drives.

This thing makes my IKEA Giant-plank-desk look pretty basic about now...

7. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Fantastic job, British Gas engineers would be proud if their pipes were bent as well as you managed! If I still worked for them I would have submitted some of your pictures as training material!

8. Panos

Panos Minimodder

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I would like to see more images of the full unit, the two there are don't make it look that great as the angles aren't the best...

10. RTech

RTech What's a Dremel?

Simple beautiful!

11. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Lot of dedication into that thing....must have taken a good while....it looks awesome though! :D

If I could spend that much time into something I need to do I could do amazing things lol! :D

PS. Was it quite costly to make?....all that work seems like a good few tools and materials needed.

12. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Thanks all, truly appreciated! :)

To respond to a few of the comments, yup it took a fair bit of time to complete, 9 months actually but that was only working on Saturdays with a few bank holidays thrown in here and there, it was a fairly pricey build the desk excluding any water cooling or actual components was a little over $700, the components of course bump that up a fair bit.

On the drive angle, thats one that has come up time and time again and everyone has a different opinion on it, I have actually change the drive orientation for the mechanical drives, the photo's don't really show the new layout that well, will try and get more photo's up soon.

While on the photo's I am no photographer but will try get some better pics up in the log, alas since writing this article I was visited by gremlins and one of the GPU's went faulty, currently waiting on a replacement so once that's in I will be sure to stick up a few more photy's

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

$700 & the minimal time you could work on it & big effort is really good for such a nice desk & the result of just a day each week over 9 months is brilliant.

It's the price of everything these creations get filled with that make the eyes water when you add it all up lol. :D

I'm not sure which desk case I like the most ya know, they are all awesome for their own individual features, this one I love the curves nice detailing & using the leg for the giant rad mount along with the awesome pipe work & the monitor mount is badass, you sure didn't chicken out on the challenge of this design & pulled it off awesome, nice one. :):clap:

Nice to see this on front page, awesome one to show. :D

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I was fortunately enough to find and follow this build from the beginning, but even so the final outcome left me astonished. A truly amazing project.

It was also astonishing how many horses heads in the glass supplier's bed it took for them to deliver the top. Fortunately I know a guy who knows a guy who could dispose of the rest of the horse for me. Wonder what he did with them....

15. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

16. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

^ But of course bud, would be honored to have it there :) have always said yours was the inspiration!!

Tags: Add Tags