1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Moving the boot partition?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cool_dude, 30 Aug 2014.

1. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Hi all

Hoping someone here can help.

I installed Windows on my new SSD the same time my original SSD hard drive was connected.

I've setup everything now, and I wanted to clear my old SSD so I can install programs, games etc on it.

However, I luckily thought I'd disconnect it instead of formatting to see if the PC still worked.

Well, when disconnected the PC doesn't boot (operating system not found).

So (I think) the boot partition is on the old hard drive? But my knowledge stops right there.

Does anyone here know the easiest, and safest way of moving it to my new SSD so that I can format the old SSD to be ready for games and not rely on it for the 'boot'?

Re-installing without the other connected isn't really an option as everything is all setup now!

Hope someone can help :D

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Remove the drive you want removing. Boot from the install disc and repair it should be able to fix it automatically. If not go to command prompt run disk part. Then type 'list vol'. Take note of the drive letter of your Windows partition. Type exit then
    Code:
    bcdboot x:\windows /s x:
    X=letter for windows partition

That'll get you going straight away. If its windows 8 add /f all to the end :)

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I don't think that quite applies in this case as the MBR isn't the issue, the missing bootmgr etc is.

Oh I forgot a step.

Once you've list vold
    Code:
    sel vol z
    Active
    Where z = volume number of windows partition