1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Online storage backup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by decebal_12000, 29 Oct 2014.

1. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

Hello!!! I am planning to buy an online plan storage but I cannot decide which one. I am putting in balance capacity vs security. I am thinking of MediaFire which is 1TB for $2.49 and Google Drive 100GB $2.00 but at the checkout is more than that. I want to know how safe is mediafire as encryption and safe for the future.

Thank you.

2. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Based on the fact you are asking about encryption I am guessing that you are going to store information you believe to be sensitive onto an online backup service.

I personally wouldn't upload anything like that to any form of online storage without first encrypting all the information. Even the best company with the best intentions (there must be some) could still be unknowingly exposed by a bug in a system they implement.

You only have to look at the recent heartbleed and shellshock bugs to see what can be present without anyone knowing about it.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you want the files encrypted I would encrypt them yourself before uploading them.

However there is another issue, the question of which online storage service you can trust to not get raided by the police for alleged copyright related crimes, because when that happens then all the data is gone without warning and even legit data will be withheld from customers.

So I'd suggest to sticking with the consumer industry heavyweights Microsoft / Google / Apple for cloud storage needs.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Have you tried to use some of the services with more than few files ? I tried to put my development tools in various cloud services to test it out - 19GB of data in 334k files. Let's see :
    1) OneDrive went completely nuts from it. After few hours, i had 50MB uploaded, the client was using 1.5GB of memory and was pretty much always checking what files to upload. Clearly, 334k files were too much for it to handle.
    2) Google Drive client managed to upload 500MB in 3 hours or so; then it crashed. On next restart it was checking files for long time, then again uploaded some files, got rate limited, then crashed. Not fun.
    3) Copy - uses ~220MB of memory, after 10 hours i am already at 9.5GB of 19GB uploaded. Sure, not the quickest way to upload (highest speed i seen was 400kB/s upload with my 10Mbit upload speed), but compared to first two it works!

Didn't try Dropbox because my disk space is going to shrink bellow that 19GB limit very soon, and getting 15-40GB of space on Copy is relatively easy (and free).

My result - there is a reason OneDrive is unlimited :D. I only wish Dropbox would have a 100GB package like Google Drive has. 1TB for 9.99e is way too big and 3GB for free too low.

5. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

I do not want to put anything ilegal, I just want to backup my pictures from my mobiles on there. I want something which has a smaller probability to be attacked by hackers and also if Mediafire is involved in filesharing i suppose is a risky job despite the low price for the amount of storage they offer you. On the other hand if I want to share something from Google is a bit tricky and not as easy as Mediafire or Dropbox where you just copy the link and share it anywhere you like. Google likes to share the pictures or anything using Google+ which I am not really fond of it.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you want 'easy' client-side encryption, there's Spideroak.
    Or if you want to roll-your-own, there's Bittorrent sync. You need at least one box to always be online in order to sync, assuming you want 'always available' service rather than just an intermittent backup.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If it's truly backup you're after - rather than a cloud service that lets you easily access individual files - then I'd recommend CrashPlan. It's rather slow - I upload at about 5Mb/s on a 19Mb/s upstream connection - but you get truly unlimited storage, the software handles all the complexities of the backup process (including local encryption, unlimited versioning and deduplication) and it's cross-platform. I'm currently storing nearly a terabyte on there, uploaded from my headless Linux server without difficulty. Code42 has also just launched a mobile app that promises to allow on-the-move access to individual files, but I haven't tried that yet.

There's a free trial on the website, and if you don't want to pay you don't have to: you can back up to anywhere using the CrashPlan software for free, it's just the cloud storage you pay for. For example: I could give you a few hundred gigabytes of storage on *my* server, and *your* CrashPlan instance could back up to it; everything would be encrypted at your end, so I wouldn't be able to get at your files.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Huh ? Google Drive is super easy (via new web UI) - click on the file, click on the sharing button, it gives you a link. The Google+ part is only the Camera roll backup. If you copy your photos yourself to Google Drive, then it won't be on Google+.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If the company that has your data gets busted for what other people do then all data will be gone, including your perfectly legal data.

10. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

But what about IDrive? They have an offer with $4.99 per year with unlimited upload and up to 5 mobile devices?

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

malwarebytes do an online storage, which is encrypted on the pc uploaded and encrypted again, it also checks for malware

their plans can be found here

12. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

So OP what did you decide?

I have a similar need for something. Mrs Nimbu has this very annoying habit of saving stuff to the desktop, and then I have to listen to whine that she cant get the file to her ipad easily etc etc. So I was thinking of just setting her up a dropbox account and she can use that on all her devices.

Also looked at copy.com, but I registered an account but everytime I try and activate it for the storage I get an error.